Baby Board?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I so wish I didn't already have a nice 9" x 12" board!!!

I'd offer feet as an option, like on your "Seconds" boards.
I have feet on my small board and it helps keep it in place when using.
Also makes it really easy to condition: condition the bottom; flip it and condition the top and sides and let it dry on its feet.

I so wish I didn't already have a nice 9" x 12" board!!!

I'd offer feet as an option, like on your "Seconds" boards.
I have feet on my small board and it helps keep it in place when using.
Also makes it really easy to condition: condition the bottom; flip it and condition the top and sides and let it dry on its feet.
Good point on the feet. I can include a link in the baby board descriptions to the sets of feet on my website and let customers know that if they order feet, I will install them. EG: http://www.theboardsmith.com/product/maple-replacement-feet-set/

Finish sanding tomorrow. I will have 3 walnuts, 4 maples, and 3 cherries available in the first batch. Also two slightly larger prototypes in cherry at 10" X 14" X 1 1/2". Those two will look very similar to the pic in the OP.
IMG_7101.JPG

That's a great size for everyday use, and for kitchens with modest counter space.
I like the pickup slots milled in the end of your boards, and I'm also a proponent of rubber feet for all the reasons. Great-looking work!

I can fit a sliiightly larger board in my double sink, but much more than 12x14 and forgetaboutit. If I can't clean it, then it can't be used in the kitchen.

My most-used board is actually half that size, a little 'cocktail board', I guess. It supports an apple every morning, and minor paring work while I'm grazing at the stove for other meals. But then I live alone and don't throw dinner parties. (hmmm.... and excuse for larger tools!)

Here are the two together - the larger (9"x11") is basically double the size of the small one. Those are 6.5" petty gyuto and 3.5" paring knives for size reference. I cook with knives no larger than 7", so these work nicely. (and I have one slightly larger synthetic board)

IMG_20190523_091808-small.jpg

All of which is to say: thumbs-up for boards this size!

ok folks, we are live with the baby boards on the website... I'd give a hyper link to them but it might be better for those willing to be guinea pigs to just navigate there and let me know if you have issues, questions, struggles, or feedback. When it comes to website stuff, I definitely need help. Spent all morning just trying to figure out how to add a product category... sigh.

I priced them at $85, $90, and $100, INCLUDING SHIPPING (CONUS).

Looks good John....I'm glad my suggestion to use USPS Priority Mail flat rate box was helpful.

FYI, I could not use the links to the option to add feet or to contact you by email.

ok folks, we are live with the baby boards on the website... I'd give a hyper link to them but it might be better for those willing to be guinea pigs to just navigate there and let me know if you have issues, questions, struggles, or feedback. When it comes to website stuff, I definitely need help. Spent all morning just trying to figure out how to add a product category... sigh.

I priced them at $85, $90, and $100, INCLUDING SHIPPING (CONUS).
I ordered it was seemless
I was first i win ha ha

Looks good John....I'm glad my suggestion to use USPS Priority Mail flat rate box was helpful.

FYI, I could not use the links to the option to add feet or to contact you by email.
Thanks much! Fixed the links.

I've gotten several emails saying 'free shipping' wasn't working, so I converted the baby boards to 'virtual' products (ie something intangible, that wouldn't be physically shipped) and hopefully that will work. It's not the cleanest of fixes, but that's what I had to do with board butters and replacement sets of feet as well. The only downside is international customer can order the items thinking they are getting free shipping, when the shipping to Sweden on a board butter or a baby board would be far more than the cost of the item itself.

Back