Best places in Japan to buy/make knives?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yoyoma

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'll be travelling to Japan in April 2024 (departing April 7th) and am trying to figure out where I should go for buying knives and for knife-related experiences (like guided tours, workshops where you can make your own knife, etc).

Just to be clear I'm NOT asking where to buy a random Japanese knife - I've been to Japan before and post decently regularly here so I'm not really interested in paying normal prices at a random knife store that sells a wide variety of makers' knives (like you will find in Kappabashi). There's no real advantage to going there because online sales and knife vendors in Canada carry basically the same things at the same prices.

I am really interested in seeing:

- Shops owned by a single owner or collective, for example Teruyasu Fujiwara's shop or Takefu Knife Village (although I've already been to both). You can sometimes talk to the staff there and they often sell their knives at much lower than online retail prices.

- Same as the above but they also offer workshops or "make a knife with us" things, or tours, or anything cool.

Any ideas? I know Takeda has a store in Kyushu but I've never been and don't know if they sell under their normal retail cost or if I'll be able to get out that way (edit: They don't sell direct from their factory in Kyushu anymore at all).

Thanks!

Last edited:
Hi all,

I'll be travelling to Japan in April 2024 (departing April 7th) and am trying to figure out where I should go for buying knives and for knife-related experiences (like guided tours, workshops where you can make your own knife, etc).

Just to be clear I'm NOT asking where to buy a random Japanese knife - I've been to Japan before and post decently regularly here so I'm not really interested in paying normal prices at a random knife store that sells a wide variety of makers' knives (like you will find in Kappabashi). There's no real advantage to going there because online sales and knife vendors in Canada carry basically the same things at the same prices.

I am really interested in seeing:

- Shops owned by a single owner or collective, for example Teruyasu Fujiwara's shop or Takefu Knife Village (although I've already been to both). You can sometimes talk to the staff there and they often sell their knives at much lower than online retail prices.

- Same as the above but they also offer workshops or "make a knife with us" things, or tours, or anything cool.

Any ideas? I know Takeda has a store in Kyushu but I've never been and don't know if they sell under their normal retail cost or if I'll be able to get out that way (edit: They don't sell direct from their factory in Kyushu anymore at all).

Thanks!
Would be curious to hear a summary of your findings! I just came back from Tokyo for my first trip and ended up buying a knife at Kama Asa, but I didn't really know anything about knives. Might be going back again next year and hopefulyly with more knowledge!

If you’re into stones or polishing I think tsuchihashi san takes visitors and let’s you rub some metal on their special rocks.

Thanks all, looking into planning some bookings. If you have anything else you think of, please let me know.

Back