• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Kitchen Knife Forums and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

WTS (Price Drop; Updated Pictures) BNIB Ikeda Honyaki 240mm Gyuto Knife

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Update:

I wonder whether some people are turned off by the awful looking lacquer so I went ahead and acetoned the knife. The lacquer is super thick. It took me 20 minutes and 7-8 passes to clean most of it off. The knife looks stunning in person after the lacquer is removed. Very good and even convex grind and thin BTE. Such a lovely knife. Kinda surprised myself this one hasn’t moved at this price. Pretty certain this knife retails for around $1,200 at most of the places. See updated pictures and a short video below.

———————————————————

BNIB Ikeda Honyaki

Bought from ProTooling.

The page is no longer available on ProTooling, but it seems to be the 240mm version of this knife on Epicedge.

https://www.epicedge.com/shopexd.asp?id=96590

Shirogami 3 and oil quenched

With a ruler, the knife looks to be 231mm x 47/48mm ish. It weighs 222.8g.

Somehow I need cash quickly again. I am hoping for a quick sale and the price reflects that.

Let's try $875 $850 $825 including G&S fee and CONUS shipping. Will cover the first $15 for outside of CONUS.

Last edited:
IMG_9122.png
IMG_9123.png
IMG_9124.png
IMG_9125.png
IMG_9126.png
IMG_9127.png
IMG_9128.png
IMG_9129.png

Last edited:
BNIB Ikeda Honyaki

Bought from ProTooling.

The page is no longer available on ProTooling, but it seems to be the 240mm version of this knife on Epicedge.

https://www.epicedge.com/shopexd.asp?id=96590

Shirogami 3 and oil quenched

With a ruler, the knife looks to be 231mm x 47/48mm ish. It weighs 222.8g.

Somehow I need cash quickly again. I am hoping for a quick sale and the price reflects that.

Let's try $875 including G&S fee and CONUS shipping. Will cover the first $15 for outside of CONUS.
‘Somehow I need cash quickly again’ your knife turnover is a thing to behold 😍

yea man. i think shirogami 3 is particularly good for this application. it gets to a very good hardness after quenching.
Yeah I just did some reading, and it's been very interesting. I've actually been wondering about the difference between honyaki and mizu honyaki. Now I know!

I don't wanna go too far off topic on a BST post, but this has been very informative for me!

Yep yep, exactly. From my admittedly brief research, it seems mizu honyaki are water quenched #1 or #2 steel, while honyaki are oil quenched, and often use #3 steel
Mizu means water, if you see abura that means oil. You can have any of the whites/blues oil or water quenched...but yes you usually see white 3 in oil.

I really need KKF to go through a "270s are rad" phase, immediately regret it, and post all their impulse purchases at a discount.
I used to be a 210mm guy. Then I went —> 225mm as my sweet spot —> 235mm ish is not too bad —> I need at least 245mm —> 255mm is my new sweet spot —> 260mm-265mm is pretty good too. Don’t know what’s next for me yet…

I used to be a 210mm guy. Then I went —> 225mm as my sweet spot —> 235mm ish is not too bad —> I need at least 245mm —> 255mm is my new sweet spot —> 260mm-265mm is pretty good too. Don’t know what’s next for me yet…
I had a random KS show up at 293 and was like "well I guess I'm a 293 guy now...." 😂

I know I prefer 225-235(sweet spot, I think). But when a hard to get maker notifies you, "Yo, I have a knife for you.” You thank them profusely but at the end they say it might be a little longer than what I was looking for. No going back at that point, hahaha.

I know I prefer 225-235(sweet spot, I think). But when a hard to get maker notifies you, "Yo, I have a knife for you.” You thank them profusely but at the end they say it might be a little longer than what I was looking for. No going back at that point, hahaha.
definitely happened to me before...then you find the knife that's much longer than your normal preference actually balances pretty well...

I wonder whether some people are turned off by the awful looking lacquer so I went ahead and acetoned the knife. The lacquer is super thick. It took me 20 minutes and 7-8 passes to clean most of it off. The knife looks stunning in person after the lacquer is removed. Very good and even convex grind and thin BTE. Such a lovely knife. Kinda surprised myself this one hasn’t moved at this price. Pretty certain this knife retails for around $1,200 at most of the places. See updated pictures and a short video below.

IMG_0829.png
IMG_0830.png

Last edited:
Back