Knives & Stones burl hunting

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pkjames

KKF Sponsor
Reaction score
Australia is such a gifted country. We have a super long costal line that blue fin tuna pays a visit each year. While desert is over 70% of the total land area, it means a lot of great stuff is buried underneath. And a bit of dry desert and a little rain means we do have trees, but born in hell mode: desert means severely lack of nutrition, so the trees grow extremely slowly therefore tend to be super dense. What is the best of the dense stuff that we have? Ringed Gidgee of course :D
It also means trees in this condition can frequently get attacked by diseases, and a by product often forms during the healing process: burls. Not like Asian burls, the desert burls means burls here are dense, I fact much denser than tropical burls (amboyna, a south east asia burl, for example has to be stabilized to use as handle material) and often has a higher density than water.

Today i scored a huge load of coolibah burls!
ImageUploadedByKitchen Knife Forum1439894532.661931.jpg

So what do they look like? I have a thin off-cut at home that I took a photo the other day:) ps, this is straight iPhone pic with no filter, and the piece was off bandsaw with no sanding, that just shows how vivid the color is!

ImageUploadedByKitchen Knife Forum1439894660.674003.jpg

The only drawback of these super dense stuff? They tend to have surface checks(cracks) that needs patching with CA glue, interlocked grain also means they are super hard to work with, and has a high fail rate. This is probably one of the reasons that we don't normally see Australian burls offered as knife handle material. As a woodworker, I just can't resist the beauty of the exotic figure, I have to give them a try!

Plz forgive the stupid iPhone autocorrection!

The only drawback of these super dense stuff? They tend to have surface checks(cracks) that needs patching with CA glue, interlocked grain also means they are super hard to work with, and has a high fail rate. This is probably one of the reasons that we don't normally see Australian burls offered as knife handle material. As a woodworker, I just can't resist the beauty of the exotic figure, I have to give them a try!

I sell them all the time: mallees, coolibahs, grey box. Yes, they are prone to have surface checks, but the challenge is to find slabs that don't, and they do exist. Their beauty is worth the hunt.

Would stabilizing them reduce the chances of failure from blow outs etc.?

AFAIK, dense timber does not gain much from stabilization but people do use resin + pressure to fill the void, oh well I guess this is another form of stabilization.

Yes, they are prone to have surface checks, but the challenge is to find slabs that don't, and they do exist.

If the block itself is solid, I treat surface checks and voids as just another feature to exploit.

just arrived home, unloading the trophies. The small one on the Top left is what i usually get in sydney...

ImageUploadedByKitchen Knife Forum1439962796.765081.jpg

I had a look at one, already see some red stuff! Would create some nice two tone contrast.

ImageUploadedByKitchen Knife Forum1439962850.741233.jpg

Didn't realise it was an overnight holiday for you :lol2:

Back