Chai Dao / Chinese Cleaver from Shanghai - looking for recommendations

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mow

Reaction score
Hello everybody,

I have been looking at and trying out a few different cleavers that are available In Germany for a little while now. I know now that I am definetly looking for a very thin cleaver that is about 20cm long (more or less) und about 9cm high(more or less).
I thought CCK would be my way to go, but they are really pricy in Europe and I have a friend who will be in Shanghai - he could buy me a Chai Dao, but as he is not a knife nerd, I'd need to know the exact knife and brand name. Another friend who is in China sometimes told me that his Chinese friend hadn't even heard about CCK, so I am guessing that they are most popular in Honkong itself.
I don't know what Cleavers are available in Shanghai, but I am quite certain that some of you do :) Could someone recommend me a thin as possible cleaver that doesn't weigh more than 300grams? Would be much appreciated!! :D

All the best
Mow

As far as I know, not very easy to buy a kitchen knife like that in china (other than super market stuff) and bring it back. Others can chime in, but I would say, for something like what you are looking for, maybe just go to your favorite local Chinese restaurant and ask them to buy one for you from their source.

Reactions: Mow
As far as I know, not very easy to buy a kitchen knife like that in china (other than super market stuff) and bring it back. Others can chime in, but I would say, for something like what you are looking for, maybe just go to your favorite local Chinese restaurant and ask them to buy one for you from their source.
Thanks for your comment @nhb22
Really? I thought it would be quite easy to do so. Hm.

Thanks for your comment @nhb22
Really? I thought it would be quite easy to do so. Hm.

Flying international with a kitchen knife in checked luggage is not usually a big deal. I haven't flown to China but I have done other international flights without trouble. I think the issue I have seen reported on here in trying to bring stuff back from China is you are often reliant on trains and public transport for part of the journey and that is where you might run into issues with security checks and such.

I know a guy from the German knife forum, he brought at least one Cleaver (maybe even several) from Honkong, no problems.

I think the difficulty is more to find the right knife that is available there. I imagine the variety is a bit different but a lot bigger than what is offered here in Germany.

@nhb22 I am starting to understand what you mean. Found a post on reddit explaining that it isn't that easy to find a Knife outside from supermarkets.

As a workaround - can't I just order a knife from Alibaba and send it to his hotel? Not the same, but I don't want to send my friend to many places just to look for a knife for me.

I've never had any problems bringing back Cleavers in my checked luggage. Once in Shanghai I had the security cops go through my luggage an confiscate some knives I had bought in Thailand but they let me keep a cleaver and a 10-inch chef knife. As for hunting cleavers, find a large wet market and search the stalls. I've never been a major market that didn't have a knife seller or two and Shanghai probably has a dozen scattered around the city.

Last edited:
I travel in and out of China a lot and never had issues with knives in my checked luggage.
One time I brought 20 gyutos with me and was stopped at the customs. But once I told them this is only for personal collecting purposes they let me go

However, don't try to take the subway or trains with this.

3 recs:

1. I mainly use my RWL34 powdered steel knife custom made by Shura. Costs ~$600. He's mainly known for very thin flatter grinds.
Looks like this, but handle has evolved somewhat. https://www.bilibili.com/video/BV1G44y1N7ym/?spm_id_from=333.999.0.0

They also have a $60-70 mass production model (with AEBL?) that looks different. Modeled after Sugimoto but thin (which is one of the popular knives among Chinese knives)

2. XinGuo does excellent slight convex grinds of customizable steel choice, thicknesses, and finishes. probably costs around the same?

3. FuYiDao (傅一刀) flagship model, costs $90-100, widely recognized among chinese chefs, a thinner version of the famous Sugimoto 4006 grind, with stainless steel nicely heat treated.
https://www.bilibili.com/video/BV1F...ck&vd_source=ba55fc3f8c66a1da21cc4407aa6d2ec0

Last edited:
I travel in and out of China a lot and never had issues with knives in my checked luggage.
One time I brought 20 gyutos with me and was stopped at the customs. But once I told them this is only for personal collecting purposes they let me go

However, don't try to take the subway or trains with this.
I always take taxis to and from markets when buying knives if its too far to walk. None of the potential problems of trains and buses.

3 recs:

1. I mainly use my RWL34 powdered steel knife custom made by Shura. Costs ~$600. He's mainly known for very thin flatter grinds.
Looks like this, but handle has evolved somewhat. https://www.bilibili.com/video/BV1G44y1N7ym/?spm_id_from=333.999.0.0

They also have a $60-70 mass production model (with AEBL?) that looks different. Modeled after Sugimoto but thin (which is one of the popular knives among Chinese knives.

Thank you for your recommendations! The cheaper version sounds great :) Is there any information on how it looks and the specs (height, size, weight, stell etc.)? And where in Shanghai would it be possible to buy it?

Thank you for your recommendations! The cheaper version sounds great :) Is there any information on how it looks and the specs (height, size, weight, stell etc.)? And where in Shanghai would it be possible to buy it?
I have couple Fuyidaos傅一刀 they are great, they have a physical store, should be on map
IMG_1662.jpeg
IMG_1663.jpeg
IMG_1665.jpeg
IMG_0872.jpeg

IMG_3590.jpeg

Last edited:
I have couple Fuyidaos傅一刀 they are great, they have a physical store, should be on map
View attachment 306390
View attachment 306391

Could you give me more information on that last Chai Dao? It looks great!
How much did it cost, what steel is it made of? And, where could my friend find it in Shanghai? (couldn't find the store on google maps)
That would be great! 👍

How much did it cost, what steel is it made of? And, where could my friend find it in Shanghai? (couldn't find the store on google maps)
That would be great! 👍
It’s ZLG167, their own steel, equivalent to Aus8 or 8Cr13, they sell online on Taobao, Simon also sell them in his store, it’s 750 rmb
【淘宝】https://m.tb.cn/h.5xZK3gryHiG4vSM?tk=fwzoWnAYjbk
【淘宝】https://m.tb.cn/h.5DmJDIL?tk=SVCYWnA1vD1

That would be great! 👍
Address is
Cao'an Highway No.1901 Wanrun Hotel Utensils C Unit No.152, Jiading
Shanghai China
傅一刀刀具西厨新创意工厂店 上海市嘉定区曹安公路1901号万润酒店用品C区152号

Last edited:
Back