Cleaver sharpening: to switch or not to switch?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I flip, but hold basically the middle of the blade and kinda ignore the handle. I find it balances better on the stone this way.

I flip, but hold basically the middle of the blade and kinda ignore the handle. I find it balances better on the stone this way.
I for sure will give it a try. I guess, the problem isn't that much in the blade's width, but more in the weight. Experience similar problems with a yo-deba, particularly if it is a long one. When scrubbing as I do for the very edge, I find holding the angle a real challenge.

I've been experimenting a bit lately with ambidextrous cleaver sharpening.

With some cleavers I have also played around with holding the cleaver by the blade around the middle and leading with the edge facing the same direction on both sides, just flipping the cleaver.

I think with practice both can work very well. Whichever muscle memory you invest in will be better.

Im also experimenting a bit with finger positioning and grip, as this can change a depending on the cleaver size and balance.

Back