Knives & Stones Custom Kanji Engraving, direct from the factory craftsman

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pkjames

KKF Sponsor
Reaction score
I believe this is another K&S first :)

When I visited Japan for the first time back in 09, I visited Aritsugu at the Nishiki market, Kyoto, and I bought a small Nakiri there. When I was checking out, I was offered to engrave some kanji onto the knife, which was kinda unexpected and I thought it was pretty cool. Since I am a Chinese-Australian, I do have a kanji name, so I conveniently put my name onto the blade.
The only downside? It was done by a young apprentice at the Aritsugu shop and his skill was not the best, my name looks a bit funny to me. Still, it was a very positive experience, and who can complaint this free service?

While this is an English-speaking forum, I do think quite a few of us here do have a Kanji background (name): Japanese, Korean, Chinese, Taiwanese, Malaysian-Chinese, Singaporean-Chinese, Indonesian-Chinese, you name it; and even if you are from an Anglo background, you may also have one or two favorite kanji, for example 愛(Ai, "love"), 氣(Qi, "life force", or "energy flow".)

Just like we love custom handles and sayas, I thought maybe we could come up with something cool on the blade. I expressed this idea to President Aoki, and he immediately came up with probably the best solution ever: Free custom kanji engraving service for all Sakai Takayuki Syousin knives stocked at Aoki Hamono, done by the very craftsman who does the factory engraving, at the time when the blade is finally sharpened / engraved. This is a big idea from Knives and Stones, and you may not even get this kind of service back in Japan. To make this work, it really relies on Aoki hamono to dedicate a lot of effort, paying extremely detailed attention to our Syousin products. It shows how much support we have from Aoki hamono and I sincerely appreciate Mr. Takahiro Aoki and Mr. Toshikazu Aoki to make this happen.

========================================

So, how does this work?
1. Email me with the Kanji you want to engrave (maximum two, preferably Japanese Kanji and traditional Chinese kanji)
2. I'd check if a blank is available back in Sakai (currently, all Sakura Gyuto, most of Byakko and the Kiritsuke Yanagi of Hienn are available).
3. Once everything is confirmed, a full payment is required for the purchase. Lead time is two to four weeks.
4. Once the knife arrives to me, I will put everything together and ship it to you.
5. I will keep you posted.

NOTE: Free engraving means I will not charge for the engraving service, but since the knife will have to be sent to me separately via courier, I may have to charge extra $10 for the shipping cost, but for now lets keep it for free to see how things go.

========================================

Now let's check out some of my customers' orders :)
A Sakura with custom kanji engraving. Chinese world (萧含)
_MG_0952.jpg

_MG_0953.jpg

_MG_0955.jpg

A Hienn with custom kanji engraving, this shows the kanji (Japanese name: 弘幸,Hiroyuki) is done at the same time with the "孝行 匠心 飛燕" (Takayuki Syousin Hienn), and polished / finished together.
_MG_0957.jpg

_MG_0958.jpg

Back