Daily Knife Pics. Any Knife. Join In!

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Been working on my Mazaki KU gyuto for the past week or so. Thinned & polished (polish still WIP), sanded spine and choil, and installed a new cedar handle. Great value out of the box and I love the profile but thought a little TLC and a new handle would take it up another level.

IMG_6077.jpeg

IMG_6079.jpeg

IMG_6080.jpeg

I've resolved to stop pining for those knife makers that I'm having a hard time getting when there are a lot of amazing makers who are willing to sell their knives to me. I'll just collect more of their knives.
My Shihans in (L-R) A2, 52100 and Aogami 2 steel.
View attachment 315665
I had to look up “shihan telegraph”.
I think I’m in love.

Love the cedar handle! Is it a Taihei?
It’s actually from JNS. I don’t see it on the site anymore but it’s yakusugi cedar and was a bit longer and wider than taihei which I thought would fit the maz well. It came with a high grit shiny finish that I sanded down. This is with 800 grit finish and some beeswax/mineral oil applied. Lovely wood and my first cedar handle but could see it becoming a fav. The feel and the smell are amazing.
If the original was one of those walnut ferrule travesties the. You definitely kicked it up a notch!

Indeed it was! That thing had to go ✌️

Back