Did I buy an Itsuo Doi?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Mentioned in another thread, figured it might actually be a good idea to formally ask here.

I bought this knife a while ago from Hocho:

https://www.hocho-knife.com/sakai-t...handle-japanese-chefs-yanagiba-sashimi-270mm/

Knifewear, Carbon, and CKTG all sell the same knife but call out Doi in the knife description like so:

https://knifewear.com/products/sakai-aonikou-aogami-2-ebony-handle-yanagiba-270mm

Hocho does not specify the maker. The Kanji on front and back of mine matches the the Knifewear and CKTG images. None of the above have Doi's diamond shaped stamp.

Did I buy a Doi Yanagiba, or just a blade made by someone under him in his shop? Ultimately It doesnt matter as I already own the knife and I'm happy with it regardless of who made it but it would be great to satisfy my curiosity.

Mentioned in another thread, figured it might actually be a good idea to formally ask here.

I bought this knife a while ago from Hocho:

https://www.hocho-knife.com/sakai-t...handle-japanese-chefs-yanagiba-sashimi-270mm/

Knifewear, Carbon, and CKTG all sell the same knife but call out Doi in the knife description like so:

https://knifewear.com/products/sakai-aonikou-aogami-2-ebony-handle-yanagiba-270mm

Hocho does not specify the maker. The Kanji on front and back of mine matches the the Knifewear and CKTG images. None of the above have Doi's diamond shaped stamp.

Did I buy a Doi Yanagiba, or just a blade made by someone under him in his shop? Ultimately It doesnt matter as I already own the knife and I'm happy with it regardless of who made it but it would be great to satisfy my curiosity.
Knifewear invoked the name without quite attributing the knife to Doi.

However the kanji on the blade face matches that of the knife on CKTG, and they are not prone to get something like that wrong. So I’d say yes, you have a Doi.

I have three knives by this maker: the 210 and 240 gyuto, and the Homura sakimaru suji 300. I really like his work. He seems to have nailed the blue 2 heat treat, and his ootb edges possess lasting sharpness.

I hope you use and enjoy it!

Knifewear invoked the name without quite attributing the knife to Doi.

However the kanji on the blade face matches that of the knife on CKTG, and they are not prone to get something like that wrong. So I’d say yes, you have a Doi.

I have three knives by this maker: the 210 and 240 gyuto, and the Homura sakimaru suji 300. I really like his work. He seems to have nailed the blue 2 heat treat, and his ootb edges possess lasting sharpness.

I hope you use and enjoy it!
Thanks for weighing in! I do really enjoy it. My sashimi and nigiri game was elevated immediately switching to this from the double bevels I'd been using for so many years prior.

Last edited:
Add: here is the kanji on my 210. The right side is etched or lasered, but it seems (minus the lozenge on top) to match the characters done in a more fluid handwork on your blade.

Second photo is the left side: different characters but a similar “hand” to yours.
IMG_3871.jpeg

IMG_3872.jpeg

Add: here is the kanji on my 210. The right side is etched or lasered, but it seems (minus the lozenge on top) to match the characters done in a more fluid handwork on your blade.

Second photo is the left side: different characters but a similar “hand” to yours.
Yeah, the thing that gets me is that missing Diamond that is on yours, that is present on his Homura Guren line, and as far as I can tell most of his knives. That's what's giving me doubts
1711246763952.png

Yeah, the thing that gets me is that missing Diamond that is on yours, that is present on his Homura Guren line, and as far as I can tell most of his knives. That's what's giving me doubts
.View attachment 310281
You inspired me to check my other two. They also have the lozenge device.

However these are sold as Doi brand. It is quite plausible to me that Aoki Hamono had him leave it off as a branding choice. This way it is a Takayuki knife, and not a “Doi and incidentally Takayuki” knife.

I’d be grateful if someone more experienced could critique my hypothesis.

(Note: my big-money Homura also has the clunky lasered or stamped kanji!)

Last edited:
You inspired me to check my other two. They also have the lozenge device.

However these are sold as Doi brand. It is quite plausible to me that Aoki Hamono had him leave it off as a branding choice. This way it is a Takayuki knife, and not a “Doi and incidentally Takayuki” knife.

I’d be grateful if someone more experienced could critique my hypothesis.

(Note: my big-money Homura also has the clunky lasered kanji!)
I was thinking along the same lines as well when I bought it. Again its all academic but would be good to know for sure.

That’s pretty much like my gyuto: stamped on the left side (ura side on your knife?) and chiseled on the right.
Yeah stamped on the Ura, Unfortunately, like so many Takayukis the Right side kanji appears to be lasered or some other mechanical embossing. I suppose they make WAY too many knives to be hand chiselling every knife they make but hand chiselling would definitely have been my preference. :p

It's likely Itsuo Doi, but it could possibly be some other employee operating under his name. I'm not aware of any way to prove anything, though.

The character inside the lozenge on top is 土 (pronounced do or tsuchi), as in 土井 (Doi).
The other characters are 堺孝行青二鋼 (Sakai Takayuki Blue 2 Steel).

It's likely Itsuo Doi, but it could possibly be some other employee operating under his name. I'm not aware of any way to prove anything, though.

The character inside the lozenge on top is 土 (pronounced do or tsuchi), as in 土井 (Doi).
The other characters are 堺孝行青二鋼 (Sakai Takayuki Blue 2 Steel).
Thanks!

Back