Favorite Dutch Oven Size?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Heckel7302

KKF Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wife wants to get me a Staub dutch oven for my birthday. What's your favorite size? I have a Le Creuset oval 9.5qt, but always wanted a round one too. Family of four but I do like to do batch cooking. Looking at 5.5qt, 7qt, and 9qt. I feel like the 13.5qt is a bit too much. Anyone have a size they like most?

I use a 7 qt Staub roundo for everything. Coming from a knockoff 7 qt oval, I'd take the round every day.

Only 2 of us but I tend to batch cook as well and host plenty of supper clubs for 6-8 people. The 7 is a good versatile size. That Dutch oven and the 3.5 qt Staub All-Day pan are responsible for 90% of my cooking. I originally wanted a 9 but a gift is a gift, and I'm perfectly happy with the 7.

I have the 5.5qt and I would like it to be a little larger. I would say that you would not be upset going with a 7 or a 9. The wider base will let you brown more stuff in a single layer
Seconded. I got a 5, and wish it was bigger. I’d like to put a chicken in it, comfortably.

7.25 qt (28 cm) Le Creuset round dutch oven is ideal, IMO. Large enough for baking bread and making 10-12 serving one-pot dishes, but small enough to be useful for smaller amounts as well. The next size down is a bit too small for bread baking, and the next size up is huge; you will need an extra large burner or hotplate to get that to heat evenly.

I have the Lodge 7.5qt enameled and I like it a lot for a family of 3. Makes a decent amount of food without a ton left over.

I do wish I had a larger one for when I want to cook for 5-6 people on occasion

Willing to be a bit of a contrarian here…

I also have a le creuset 9.5 qt oval. I’m not sure what the round 7qt would get me, I think I’d prefer a 24cm pot for smaller everyday cooking. Lots of that slow cooking stuff benefits from being cozy and filling up the pot. However, I tend to use a carbon steel skillets for browning and then I transfer to the pot. I particularly find myself pondering the tall 24cm pot they sell, it’d be useful for soups

What I ended up with was a second oval, around 4 quarts.

To me, the ideal size is the largest one that your stove top can accommodate in terms of even heating.

Willing to be a bit of a contrarian here…

I also have a le creuset 9.5 qt oval. I’m not sure what the round 7qt would get me, I think I’d prefer a 24cm pot for smaller everyday cooking. Lots of that slow cooking stuff benefits from being cozy and filling up the pot. However, I tend to use a carbon steel skillets for browning and then I transfer to the pot. I particularly find myself pondering the tall 24cm pot they sell, it’d be useful for soups

What I ended up with was a second oval, around 4 quarts.
My main gripe with the oval is that, since the heat source (gas burner) is round, the ends of the oval always seem to be at a lower temperature. Not an issue with braising in the oven, but searing is always a challenge. I mean, I've had the thing for 15 years so I make do, but I'd like the round as another option.

I stopped in Su le Table last night for some hands on touchy-feely. For sure the 7qt for me over the 5.5. They didn't have anything larger to compare, but I think the 7 will be enough.

One thing that had me a little intrigued was the Sur le Table brand 7qt, which is much wider and flatter than the Staub or LC. I do like the idea of more searing surface and faster reducing time, but the finish on it is like glass, which kind of turns me off.

slt

1710429782208.png

staub
1710429844696.png

My main gripe with the oval is that, since the heat source (gas burner) is round, the ends of the oval always seem to be at a lower temperature. Not an issue with braising in the oven, but searing is always a challenge. I mean, I've had the thing for 15 years so I make do, but I'd like the round as another option.
Yeah, I use them often for things like pot roasts or whole chickens so I’m partial to ovals. Fits whole cuts better

I don't understand why Lodge stopped making the 4qt cast iron. It's the perfect size for a one-kilo boule. Apart from that, I like my 7qt oval for stews and braises.

Back