Ferrules and rivets for old nogents

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bagotnj

Reaction score
Crossposting from shop talk. I have several ebony nogent handles and antique French blades with rat-tail tangs. I’m looking for ferrules and rivets to complete the knives. Does anyone still make French ferrules or know how to rivet these tangs? Attached is a pic of an incomplete knife and a pic of my La Trompette 1878. Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_0246.jpeg
    IMG_0246.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0248.jpeg
    IMG_0248.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0251.jpeg
    IMG_0251.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0253.jpeg
    IMG_0253.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
Crossposting from shop talk. I have several ebony nogent handles and antique French blades with rat-tail tangs. I’m looking for ferrules and rivets to complete the knives. Does anyone still make French ferrules or know how to rivet these tangs? Attached is a pic of an incomplete knife and a pic of my La Trompette 1878. Thanks
I doubt you'd find a ferrule to fit that slot. I don't even know where I'd look for one.
As for the rivet I think I'd find a brass(or nickle silver) washer that fits the bill and use that.
My first thought would be to have everything fitted and ready to finish, including epoxy. I'd clamp the blade in a vice vertically so the bolster takes most of the force. Then I'd lightly epoxy around the tang-hole and the washer and peen the tang over the washer while the epoxy sets.
(off to look at your post in shoptalk)

I doubt you'd find a ferrule to fit that slot. I don't even know where I'd look for one.
As for the rivet I think I'd find a brass(or nickle silver) washer that fits the bill and use that.
My first thought would be to have everything fitted and ready to finish, including epoxy. I'd clamp the blade in a vice vertically so the bolster takes most of the force. Then I'd lightly epoxy around the tang-hole and the washer and peen the tang over the washer while the epoxy sets.
(off to look at your post in shoptalk)
Thanks! I’ll see if I can recycle a ferrule off another similar sized knife. The epoxy route is the most logical next step. I have a nice large sabatier that I’ll post soon on historical finds. It’s missing a handle so Im planning on using this method with an old production ebony handle that I sourced.

Back