First ~3 synthetic stones

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here is where I have landed, in case it assists anyone, present or future:

Low grit: Atoma 140; Shapton Glass 500

Medium grit: Shapton Rockstar 2000

High(er) grit: Shapton Rockstar 6000; BBW

Other: Kangaroo leather bench strop; Naniwa stone holder

At some stage, I will assess and consider whether stones like a Naniwa Chosera 1000, Shapton Glass / Rockstar 1000, King 1000 etc. are necessary / helpful as part of a sharpening protocol. Will also consider Shapton Rockstar 320 or Naniwa Pro 320 if I get confident enough to try thinning in the future. For now, I am pretty happy with the above selection to get me started.

Thanks again everyone. Has been an extremely useful and informative thread that I have come back to over and over again. Will get lost in sharpening videos, demurring threads etc. now.

Atoma 140 is a must have, my one has got to be 6-7+ years old with no signs of death. Its been through countless washita, charnleys and still flattens, cuts steel effortlessly.

You won't be disappointed on that. I do wish we in the UK have rockstars at some point and I am not talking about the musical kind.

Diamonds are also a man's best friend.

Atoma 140 is a must have, my one has got to be 6-7+ years old with no signs of death. Its been through countless washita, charnleys and still flattens, cuts steel effortlessly.

You won't be disappointed on that. I do wish we in the UK have rockstars at some point and I am not talking about the musical kind.

I ordered one, but little did I know that it will take a 5 weeks to deliver!

Can I start sharpening in my Shapton Glass and Rockstar stines (brand new) straight out of the box, or do I need to wait for the Atoma to lap the stones and ensure that they are flat from the outset? I don’t really want to pay for another lapping / flattening stone in the interim… I have all of my sharpening stones and wouldn’t mind getting some practice soon.

I got my 1000 rockstar from eBay for less than £50. He also has some 320 I'm tempted by.

Can I start sharpening in my Shapton Glass and Rockstar stines (brand new) straight out of the box, or do I need to wait for the Atoma to lap the stones and ensure that they are flat from the outset? I don’t really want to pay for another lapping / flattening stone in the interim… I have all of my sharpening stones and wouldn’t mind getting some practice soon.

I didn't lap my Glass stones.

Your lower grits will dish more depending on how much you use them, the higher grits less so. Personally, I'd use them. I might not go crazy until I got my plate but I wouldn't hesitate to do a couple knives. Especially if all you need to do is touch-ups on the higher grits.

I didn't lap my Glass stones.

Your lower grits will dish more depending on how much you use them, the higher grits less so. Personally, I'd use them. I might not go crazy until I got my plate but I wouldn't hesitate to do a couple knives. Especially if all you need to do is touch-ups on the higher grits.
That’s precisely all I need to do at this stage - thank you!

Even without using Atoma, you can achieve a completely flat surface by rubbing three whetstones against each other.

I used my Rockstars right out of the box (a lot), tho like I said earlier in the thread, I did spring for an Atoma just to tidy them up a bit.

And yeah, you can always just rub rocks together to make them flat. I'm also a big fan of the $2 tile + $0.50 drywall screen from Lowes approach, if you want a quick and dirty solution while you wait for the Atoma.

Or buy a decent, cheap Chinese diamond plate, adds a black acrylic base and strong double tape, and voila!, you have your 'Atoma'!

Back