Stefan's For Sale - Carter w/Stefan Handle

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave Martell

Forum Founder
Founding Member
Reaction score
This is an older Carter gyuto (or maybe funayuki?) made from a white steel core with stainless cladding.

The blade is in good shape overall showing only light scratches from use/cleaning plus some patina on the core steel. I did a quick belt sharpening of the knife to remove some edge rust nicks so it's sharp and ready to start cutting.

The handle is a higher end model where he used mammoth ivory, sterling silver (not nickel silver!) spacers, a mosaic pin to help secure the mammoth ivory butt cap, and rosewood paired up together into a stylish multi-piece design. The mammoth ivory ferrule has some fissures in it.

I think that Stefan may have done this mounting himself and if that's the case then I'd guess that this was either a very early handle or a much later one as I only remember Stefan telling me twice about mounting his own handles - a task that he hated dearly! :D

Stats:
Model
- Carter Wa Gyuto (or Funayuki?)

Size - 210mm

Steel - White core

Weight - 6oz (170g)

Handle - Custom Stefan Keller, Rosewood, Mammoth Ivory, Sterling Silver Spacers, mosaic butt cap pin

Condition - The blade has some light wispy horizontal scratches from cleaning. The core steel shows some patina. The blade is sharp! The handle has some fissures on the mammoth ivory that can be seen and felt. See pictures below for details.

Packaging - None

Shipping Costs/Etc. - Included in the price for USA buyers only. International buyers restricted from purchase due to handle material export laws.

Price - $689 $589 $489

Payment Types - Paypal & Venmo
PM for payment details.

P1010001.JPG
P1010004.JPG
P1010005.JPG
P1010006.JPG
P1010008.JPG
P1010010.JPG
P1010012.JPG
P1010014.JPG
P1010015.JPG
P1010017.JPG

Last edited:
To answer some of the questions that have come in, some more than once.....

1. I can't remount the handle.

2. The handle is almost certainly epoxied in place and will not easily be removed, or better said, will not be removed without some risk.

3. I can't seal/fix/repair the mammoth tooth fissures without re-working the entire handle. This would be something that either the buyer does themselves or hires someone to do for them.

4. I can't "refinish" the blade. Yes, Carter's finish is rough for sure, and would need a lot of work to make pretty, that's likely why it wasn't done in the first place. If a buyer wanted to improve this (for whatever reason) then the buyer would have to hire a professional to "refinish" this blade unless they like pain and despair and in that case they may wish to attempt this themselves.

5. I can't "clean" the blade without "refinishing" the blade - see #4 above. I did Simichrome it to remove some rust that would come loose but that's all this guy can do for free.

6. I can't sharpen the knife since I already did that as a bonus freebie - see "condition" section in the original post (listing) above where I noted that the blade is sharp.

7. I can't "throw in the deal" of any of the above. I'm doing this as a favor for a friend, please understand this when asking me to work for free.

8. No, I can't ship this knife out of the USA. See the large red statement above in the original post (listing) that states International buyers restricted from purchase due to handle material export laws.

9. I don't believe that this knife is an investment - monetarily speaking - yet it is more like an investment into Stefan Keller. If that's not what you're after then you shouldn't buy this knife.

PS - In case anyone thinks I'm salty here - I swear I'm not at all. I'm still very much into this project and keeping my promise to Stefan but I am getting tired of answering the same questions repeatedly so I figured I'd do it one more time and hopefully be done with it - LOL :D

Last edited:
Attention Member bzalforno

I've received your emails but when I reply they get kicked back as un-deliverable. Please contact me here through PM!

This knife is still for sale but I've dropped the pricing! o_O

Price - $689 $589 $489

Latest posts

Back