Heiji carbon vs semi stainless

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shobudonnie

Reaction score
For anyone who ever owned both versions, can you do a little comparison?

Is the Swedish carbon sharper than the semi stainless? If so, by how much?

Which one has the better edge retention? And is it a big gap?

For anyone who ever owned both versions, can you do a little comparison?

Is the Swedish carbon sharper than the semi stainless? If so, by how much?

Which one has the better edge retention? And is it a big gap?
Both are good. The semi-stainless will have slightly better edge retention, especially when cutting acidic foods.

As far as sharpness goes, they come with an extreme zero edge. Beyond that, it'll be up to the sharpener.

Without professional testing equipment, it's difficult to quantify the comparison between these two types of steel. I can only share my personal experience.
My native language is not English, so this was translated into English with the assistance of ChatGPT. Please excuse any readability issues.
1)
Both can be sharpened to a fine edge, but carbon steel is a bit easier.Especially when it comes to removing blade burrs, carbon steel is very easy.
2)
At their sharpest, both exhibit excellent cutting performance. However, when slightly dulled, carbon steel tends to provide a better cutting feel, especially noticeable when cutting foods like peppers and tomatoes with smooth skins. Carbon steel offers superior cutting feel in such cases. However, foods with noticeable acidity or alkalinity, like peppers and tomatoes, can quickly corrode carbon steel.
3)
Half-stainless steel is more wear-resistant than carbon steel and tends to dull more slowly.
If you cut meat frequently, I recommend choosing carbon steel. Carbon steel for cutting meat. There's not as much worry about rusting issues. It offers an excellent cutting feel.
If you cut vegetables more often, I recommend choosing semi-stainless steel."

Latest posts

Back