I’m torn - Munetoshi KU or Mazaki KU 240 gyuto?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was gonna chime in and throw in my vote for Maz. To me the grind and profile puts it way ahead of the munetoshi. Then add in the little things like taller neck, wider spine at handle, and nicer looking KU. No contest in my mind. You made a good choice.

And for what its worth, my maz currently still holds one of the few spots in my drawer

2023 KU Mazaki has a reaaaal nice profile. Quite good food release, thick spine, very thin tip, gets pretty thin BTE. It's the reason I sold my Kochi 240, better edge retention than the V2. I've actually based a bunch of custom requests off that Maz since I got it. Has a lot of things I really like and is super versatile. Rehandled mine with a JKI Kochi handle over that dumbass walnut one. Worth it.

I think Munetoshi are a little more variable in grind but I happened to get a nice thinner 240, especially compared to the nakiri it was thinner BTE and I really do enjoy it. It's more curvy profile but the sweet spot is quite large in my experience. Food release is better than Maz on everything soft, when you get to hard butternuts it gets back to fairly even. It's hard to explain but there's something more soulful about the Munetoshi despite the Maz being better on paper. Idk it's just an exceedingly comfortable knife to use for everything in one meal. It's forgiving yet high performance. Possibly slightly longer edge retention than Maz but I need to do a side by side again to back that up

View attachment 306435View attachment 306430
View attachment 306432
View attachment 306431
View attachment 306433View attachment 306434
My Muni doesn't look anything like that banana-shaped one you have. Mine is quite flat (I'd take photos, but I leave it at my folks' house so I can use it while I'm there). My sample has almost a KS profile: I think it's 248x51, so long and short. It's a great, rustic knife.

I've also probably owned 5 240 Mazaki gyutos, but all from his earlier works. I currently own a 210 KU from CleanCut, circa 2020 that's just awesome. From my experience, his best steel/profile combo was the charcoal quenched batch he made for JNS around 2018-19(?).

Between mune and Maz, I'd take the latter (with a good handle, not those walnut atrocities). It's just a more refined knife than the Muni (which I also like just fine for what it is - a rustic knife with zero fit-and-finish).

Have fun in your journey!

Our Munetoshi is very different from other been sold different profile as well more flat, blooming steel one is worth just because of core steel as well, it self it is similar to blue 1 and water quenched so harder and tougher steel

So I'm rained out and stuck inside. Decided I need to do a side by side, please forgive my ARM transgressions this was for Science. Both should have relatively fresh coticule edges.

TL;DR my Munetoshi is better cutter.

Red onion: Munetoshi is first half, Mazaki 2nd

Gold potatoes: Mazaki is the first potato on this. Munetoshi really shined here

I was gonna chime in and throw in my vote for Maz. To me the grind and profile puts it way ahead of the munetoshi. Then add in the little things like taller neck, wider spine at handle, and nicer looking KU. No contest in my mind. You made a good choice.

And for what its worth, my maz currently still holds one of the few spots in my drawer
Why the preference for a taller neck? I've held a very light preference for thin/short necks because I like to hook a finger in there, but now you have me wondering if I'm missing out on something.

Unrelated and perhaps aside from this thread, but I'd be curious to learn what else has held a spot in your drawer haha

Why the preference for a taller neck? I've held a very light preference for thin/short necks because I like to hook a finger in there, but now you have me wondering if I'm missing out on something.
Taller necks on gyutos around 18-20mm are most comfortable to me. It allows my grip to open up more compared to shorter ones.
Unrelated and perhaps aside from this thread, but I'd be curious to learn what else has held a spot in your drawer haha
Stainless
Myojin sg2 180
Myojin sg2 210
Nigara Ginsan (workhorsey) 230

Carbon
Mazaki b2 240
Custom y Tanaka b1 workhorse 240
Yoake b1 240

And a bunch of cleavers, but those are bale to fit in a diff area of the drawer

Taller necks on gyutos around 18-20mm are most comfortable to me. It allows my grip to open up more compared to shorter ones.

Stainless
Myojin sg2 180
Myojin sg2 210
Nigara Ginsan (workhorsey) 230

Carbon
Mazaki b2 240
Custom y Tanaka b1 workhorse 240
Yoake b1 240

And a bunch of cleavers, but those are bale to fit in a diff area of the drawer

You don't see much chatter around myojin sg2. Do you think they're worth more consideration when you're looking for stainless?

You don't see much chatter around myojin sg2. Do you think they're worth more consideration when you're looking for stainless?
I think I discussed comparison in a thread vs Nakagawa Ginsan and this is what I keep as my go-to stainless. I have 180, 210, and 240 in this line. Similar grind to a kono fm (thickness taken at multiple pts behind the edge are virtually identical), Sakai profile, taller neck than kono, and good overall f&f. Not sure what you mean by more consideration, but for me, it's beat out everything else I've put it up against.

Mazaki came in today from Carbon.

Specs, profile, and grind are 🤌
- 245x53mm
- 213g
- 7mm out the handle
- 2.5mm halfway
- .8mm 1cm from tip

So far I've just unboxed, removed the lacquer, and chopped some leftover steak for a sandwich. Not a great test for cutting but initial impressions are good.

Knife feels robust in hand with aggressive distal taper and forward balance. That combined with it's rustic look and feel gives you the vibe that this thing is meant to be used and not babied. Only knock is the handle as some have mentioned, it just ain't it. Will look to replace that in the near future. Overall, seems like a great knife and good value.

Some pics of our first photoshoot:

IMG_5958.jpg

IMG_5957.jpg

IMG_5959.jpg

IMG_5961 2.jpg

Mazaki came in today from Carbon.

Specs, profile, and grind are 🤌
- 245x53mm
- 213g
- 7mm out the handle
- 2.5mm halfway
- .8mm 1cm from tip

So far I've just unboxed, removed the lacquer, and chopped some leftover steak for a sandwich. Not a great test for cutting but initial impressions are good.

Knife feels robust in hand with aggressive distal taper and forward balance. That combined with it's rustic look and feel gives you the vibe that this thing is meant to be used and not babied. Only knock is the handle as some have mentioned, it just ain't it. Will look to replace that in the near future. Overall, seems like a great knife and good value.

Some pics of our first photoshoot:

View attachment 307791

View attachment 307792
View attachment 307793

View attachment 307794
Really nice sample you have there, thicker towards the back end.

I didn't know Maz lacquered, that's interesting.

The burnt chestnut Kochi handle from JKI isn't cheap, but it works really well on this knife. One of the most comfortable handles I have. After seeing how much they had to widen the handle slot for that beefy spine/tang I was kinda glad they did the install too.

20230906_193750.jpg

20230906_193905.jpg

The burnt chestnut Kochi handle from JKI isn't cheap, but it works really well on this knife. One of the most comfortable handles I have. After seeing how much they had to widen the handle slot for that beefy spine/tang I was kinda glad they did the install too.

Ahh maybe there wasn't lacquer, I had just assumed. I'll normally just hit all my knives with acetone when I get them.

I dig that handle, and I really like burnt chestnut. That said, I recently installed one of @tostadas burnt oak mono handles on my Birgersson gyuto and love it. Similar feel to burnt chestnut and I think that black mono would look badass on a Maz. May need to commission another one soon @tostadas.

IMG_5968.jpg

Ahh maybe there wasn't lacquer, I had just assumed. I'll normally just hit all my knives with acetone when I get them.

I dig that handle, and I really like burnt chestnut. That said, I recently installed one of @tostadas burnt oak mono handles on my Birgersson gyuto and love it. Similar feel to burnt chestnut and I think that black mono would look badass on a Maz. May need to commission another one soon @tostadas.

View attachment 307845
Burnt oak is what I use for my own personal maz B2
PXL_20240314_004524833.jpg

View attachment 307826
View attachment 307833
I have this same set up, the jki kochi handle feels right

Back