I want to start baking more. cakes, bread, etc. I don't have or really want a stand mixer.

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
But my main dissapointment is that they didn't seem to have picked up the Kenwood; would have been nice to see how they judged it in a head to head.
A Kenwood would have slaughtered a KitchenAid. They are in different classes. I’ve used a KA on two occasions (not the large model with the spiral hook, but the smaller one with a C-hook). The KA feels flimsy in comparison, and listening to its motor straining made me cringe. Every time I make Brezen (very dense and heavy dough), I smile at the ease with which the Kenwood wrestles the dough into submission.

I assume that the large KA would fare a little better in a comparison. But the bowl lift is a pain because the machine gets in the way of accessing the bowl contents. A tilt-up design is much better in that respect. But the Ankarsrum is the clear winner for accessibility; it is completely open with everything in perfect reach.

This is 2 kg of bread dough being kneaded effortlessly.
IMG_0502.jpeg

This is 2 kg of bread dough being kneaded effortlessly.
View attachment 287426
I had never heard of these mixers until recently. I am looking to get myself a new mixer. I bought a Kenwood Chef Major 20 years ago but, moving abroad shortly after, I never really used it. It has been in storage ever since.

I’m far more into baking now, so I am more confident a mixer would see lots of use. I’m leaning towards a space-saving 5 litre Kenwood Titanium Chef. In fact, I would use my old one, but sadly, it can’t use a spiral hook. I also have some 20-year-old attachments (mincer, herb chopper, pasta maker, blender) which could be used on a new model.

The Ankarsrum is so intriguing. A lot of bread bakers seem to love them. I just worry about the versatility of the machine. For making cakes and pastries, I suspect a Kenwood would be a better choice. Also, it looks kinda big. what is it like to store? Do parts nest?

I had never heard of these mixers until recently. I am looking to get myself a new mixer. I bought a Kenwood Chef Major 20 years ago but, moving abroad shortly after, I never really used it. It has been in storage ever since.

I’m far more into baking now, so I am more confident a mixer would see lots of use. I’m leaning towards a space-saving 5 litre Kenwood Titanium Chef. In fact, I would use my old one, but sadly, it can’t use a spiral hook. I also have some 20-year-old attachments (mincer, herb chopper, pasta maker, blender) which could be used on a new model.

The Ankarsrum is so intriguing. A lot of bread bakers seem to love them. I just worry about the versatility of the machine. For making cakes and pastries, I suspect a Kenwood would be a better choice. Also, it looks kinda big. what is it like to store? Do parts nest?

You'd go fine with either Ankarsrum (old Electrolux) or the Kenwood (XL Titanium).

The Ankarsurm has been around forever (it's like the Swedish Kitchen Aid), but they rebranded it from Electrolux like 15 years ago, gave it some cosmetic updates, more colors and add-ons in order to compete with KitchenAid. They've also spent a lot on marketing and endorsements, and it has paid off. They have raised the price quite a bi as well …

If I needed a machine for baking only, I'd probably get the Ankarsurm, just for the lower height. But it doesn't do it better in any way than the Kenwood. Let the construction-functionality-convenience decide.

I def wouldn't change my KeTiXL for the Ankarsum.

But since working with a Thermomix for a month while staying abroad, my idea of which appliances I really need has become less clear …

Anyone know where to get one of the higher-powered Kenwood models in the US? I see a few from Amazon and WS but all lower powered (750-800W) versions. Everything else is used or from scammy looking webstores. It looks like Kenwood itself no longer has a US or Canada website - maybe pulling out of the NA market unfortunately.

You'd go fine with either Ankarsrum (old Electrolux) or the Kenwood (XL Titanium).

The Ankarsurm has been around forever (it's like the Swedish Kitchen Aid), but they rebranded it from Electrolux like 15 years ago, gave it some cosmetic updates, more colors and add-ons in order to compete with KitchenAid. They've also spent a lot on marketing and endorsements, and it has paid off. They have raised the price quite a bi as well …

If I needed a machine for baking only, I'd probably get the Ankarsurm, just for the lower height. But it doesn't do it better in any way than the Kenwood. Let the construction-functionality-convenience decide.

I def wouldn't change my KeTiXL for the Ankarsum.

But since working with a Thermomix for a month while staying abroad, my idea of which appliances I really need has become less clear …

Thanks for your insight. I will be moving back to the city next year. As much as I am looking forward to it, the apartment I am moving to has a tiny kitchen. Sadly, I think a Kenwood XL would be too big. Space-wise, the regular Titanium Chef Baker seems the most viable option. I was considering the Ankarsrum because, as you pointed out, it’s not too tall.

I’ve never heard of a Thermos mix. Just Googled it. Wow. Seems to do everything. That price tag, though.

I’ve never heard of a Thermos mix. Just Googled it. Wow. Seems to do everything. That price tag, though.

the Thermomix is not an alternative for kneading dough. but for basically everything else – in combination, simultaneously.

If you really get into bacon, you're definitely going to change your mind and want to stand mixer lol. Ask me how I know.

i really want the Ankarsrum now. thanks..thanks a lot...really thanks.

:D
The ank is a beast. It takes some time adapting it if you’re used to traditional mixers like kitchenaids (primarily because the kneading is gentler, so it is slower. Somewhere between hand kneading and machine kneading in time), but on low speed it can essentially go forever.

I picked a lightly used one up on fb marketplace last year. In theory it should do fine for whipping stuff, even with the kneading attachments. I’m primarily a dough person, so I haven’t fully tested that, but it’s basically perfect in my opinion. Slower than the KA, and likely slower than the Kenwood for the same reason, but very much a buy it for life mixer.

Easier to find good deals on nowadays since King Arthur started selling them. Much larger supply given as gifts to people who don’t need it and end up selling it.

After 4 years of baking bread and threatening to get a stand mixer, I’m on the precipice of springing for an Ankarsrum.

I don’t mind hand kneading and have done it for ~80% hydration sourdough, but I have to slot in making my doughs on the days I work from home, and the messy countertops and hands from the initial mixing and kneading have stopped me baking recently whilst my job has been so busy.

Seems like an expensive solution to a simple problem, but I can see myself quickly branching out into more elaborate bakes and patisserie, as well as using the other accessories to make ice cream and pasta etc.

I just need some moral support to talk me into it… 😅

After 4 years of baking bread and threatening to get a stand mixer, I’m on the precipice of springing for an Ankarsrum.

I don’t mind hand kneading and have done it for ~80% hydration sourdough, but I have to slot in making my doughs on the days I work from home, and the messy countertops and hands from the initial mixing and kneading have stopped me baking recently whilst my job has been so busy.

Seems like an expensive solution to a simple problem, but I can see myself quickly branching out into more elaborate bakes and patisserie, as well as using the other accessories to make ice cream and pasta etc.

I just need some moral support to talk me into it… 😅
If it's just about the mess... just get a seperate big dishwashing tub you only use for kneading dough. Works really well for both kneading and rising the dough, and you can do it where-ever. In my student days I've even used it while having it on my lap sitting on a couch.

If it's just about the mess... just get a seperate big dishwashing tub you only use for kneading dough. Works really well for both kneading and rising the dough, and you can do it where-ever. In my student days I've even used it while having it on my lap sitting on a couch.
I’ll be honest, I’m also a bit lazy - this is a good shout though

i do the mess or the mixer depending on how messy i feel. now i’ve also been gifted my mum’s electrolux (ankarsrum) – will keep the kenwood.

i do the mess or the mixer depending on how messy i feel. now i’ve also been gifted my mum’s electrolux (ankarsrum) – will keep the kenwood.

So you prefer the Kenwood?

Kenwood is the perfect gift for male friends; until the end of times you'll be able to tell them you gave them wood.

I ended up down a last minute Kenwood rabbit hole today, partially inspired by the thought of @Michi sat in his kitchen with the lights off at night watching his Brezen get mixed with a sinister grin…
I smile at the ease with which the Kenwood wrestles the dough into submission.

Managed to find a Titanium Chef XL with the 1700w motor on eBay used ‘5 times of less’ for £260.

@Michi @sumis if you’re ever in London, I owe you a drink as you just saved me quite a bit of cash 🍻

Last edited:
I ended up down a last minute Kenwood rabbit hole today, partially inspired by the thought of @Michi sat in his kitchen with the lights off at night watching his Brezen get mixed with a sinister grin…

the-simpsons-mr-burns.gif

Managed to find a Titanium Chef XL with the 1700w motor on eBay used ‘5 times of less’ for £260.

Congratulations, that's a great catch!

@Michi @sumis if you’re ever in London, I owe you a drink as you just saved me quite a bit of cash 🍻

Hang on a sec, booking my flight as we speak… ;)

Back