JKI Izakuchi

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I saw JKI’s white 1 Izakuchi line recently and was surprised by how much variation there is between the products (not as in defects, but in appearance).

I assumed that they would use different manufacturing techniques for the blue super and the white 1 so those difference make sense, but even between the cladding line of the white 1 petty and the white 1 gyuto there’s a big difference in appearance.

I use knives a lot, but I’m no expert in how they’re made. Why all the variation? Different craftsmen, different manufacturing techniques, or just different aesthetic choices?

I don’t expect @JBroida to reveal all the trade secrets, but I’d love to hear what everybody thinks.

Aren’t those all Hokiyamas? They have a few different grinds and finishes for their different lines but they have a few distinctive features in common.
Hokiyama make good knives and they’re an actual maker, not a glorified reseller. Almost everyone in the business is carrying their products under a huge amount of different brand names.

I guess that solves that. I was familiar with their powder metal and aogami super stuff, but I didn’t know they did things that looked like wide bevels or white 1 also.

Latest posts

Back