King resin bonded diamond.

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blank Blades.

Blank Blank.
KKF Supporting Craftsman
Reaction score
I bought one of the 1000 grit king resin bonded diamond stones recently. It should be getting here tomorrow, so I will post my experience with it here once I get it.

I would be interested to see of anyone else has tried it. I rarely see this stone mentioned at all.

The naniwa ones have been talked about a good bit, as well as venev, nsk, fsk, nanohone, the one with george in the name i cant remember. But never this one.

Been meaning to try this one. There was an old stock porous diamond stone on yahoo auction too -- that ones pretty good with excellent tactile feedback, the best I've tried. Its 1000 grit. Aluminum base. Base has a burr though, not well finished. Overall quality of nsk is higher though, in grit quality too. But the small bubble pores in this one is really interesting and helps with grippy cutting feel

IMG_20240302_225734.jpg
IMG_20240302_225736.jpg
IMG_20240302_225741.jpg
IMG_20240302_225730.jpg

Last edited:
It's here!

Haven't used it yet, but here are my impressions from the packaging and quality of presentation.

IMG_20240303_171435663.jpg

Nice little box like you would expect.

Comes with the stone with a plastic cover on it, and has a sic dressing stone.

IMG_20240303_171507717.jpg
taking off the cover it looks fairly nice
IMG_20240303_171554408.jpg

The stone has an aluminum base, then that aluminum base appears to be screwed to the wooden base. So it should be removable which i really like

IMG_20240303_171523769.jpg

Overall everything looks nice. I'll update again after i actually use it.

Actually i went ahead and compared the finish this leaves behind vs my venev f400.

One, out of curiosity. Two, because I have thought the venev f400 was a 1000 jis grit equivalent more than anything.

Venev
IMG_20240303_192842032.jpg

King
IMG_20240303_193728005.jpg

I think that is pretty much what i see here.

Yeah, the Venev 400 is roughly equivalent to JIS 700 grit.
I don't have any 700 grit stones to compare it to, but it looks identical to the finish from the king 1000 here.

I've also seen the chart of coarse. But idk. I think even if the abrasive size of these does fall into the 700 jis range, the finish from venev generally speaking is higher than that. I know the 320ish (f240) finishes finer than a vitrified 400 grit i have that should have finer sized abrasive. The finish is definitely much coarser though.

Also i have used one of those grit conversion things online and for f400 got a conversion to 1000 grit though, that could have been wrong. Regardless i do think the venev f400 finish's like a 1000.

I used to sell them on my website back in March 2020.View attachment 305175

View attachment 305176
Ah ok. I remember seeing you use, and i think talk about the neo. But don't remember the bonded diamond one.

Tbh, i think it's pretty decent for what I want. I have had some difficulty on some bonded diamond stones. Trying to deburr, since even with very light pressure, the stone still seems to cut well enough to raise a new burr. So something pretty hard, and that isn't going to have the most cutting power seems perfect for me here.

I've also seen the chart of coarse. But idk. I think even if the abrasive size of these does fall into the 700 jis range, the finish from venev generally speaking is higher than that. I know the 320ish (f240) finishes finer than a vitrified 400 grit i have that should have finer sized abrasive. The finish is definitely much coarser though.
Resinoid bond finishes finer than other types so it isn't surprising that the Venev stones perform that way. Regarding the King Diamond 1000, I have not found a median abrasive particle size and sub-sieve grades like #1000 are not standardized by JIS as far as I know, and I think it likely that the manufacturer chose a particle size that gives performance similar to the legacy #1000 products.

Resinoid bond finishes finer than other types so it isn't surprising that the Venev stones perform that way. Regarding the King Diamond 1000, I have not found a median abrasive particle size and sub-sieve grades like #1000 are not standardized by JIS as far as I know, and I think it likely that the manufacturer chose a particle size that gives performance similar to the legacy #1000 products.
This makes sense

I haven't seen these in the usual north american vendor's webstores as well as amazon.jp. If you don't mind me asking Where did you manage to find them and how much did they end up costing?

I haven't seen these in the usual north american vendor's webstores as well as amazon.jp. If you don't mind me asking Where did you manage to find them and how much did they end up costing?
I just got it on amazon. It had next day delivery.

There's also King Neo Carat sintered diamond apparently. . . No info on the matsumaga website though
Interesting find! If the diamond-bearing part is the layer of slightly different color near the top I see that it isn't entirely uniform in thickness which seems common for dual-layer stones which are manufactured in one piece rather than bonded afterward. With such a thin layer however I wonder if thin spots are a problem; it would be pretty annoying to wear through the diamond prematurely despite making even use of the stone.

Would love to know what you think of it. I'm having the same issues making a burr on medium coarse super hard stones. Interested to know how this pans out.
You are having an issue with forming one, or getting rid of it?

Interesting find! If the diamond-bearing part is the layer of slightly different color near the top I see that it isn't entirely uniform in thickness which seems common for dual-layer stones which are manufactured in one piece rather than bonded afterward. With such a thin layer however I wonder if thin spots are a problem; it would be pretty annoying to wear through the diamond prematurely despite making even use of the stone.
Clicking on the picture it kinda looks like its on a metal base, and the unevenness look is from the perspective of the pic. I could he wrong about that though.

Getting rid of it. There are a couple pocket knives that like an 800 grit finish or so, but that burr super persistent
Ah yeah. Of course steel and ht will play a role.

But anyway this stone seems to do well at it to me. Not super fast cutting. I mean it cuts fine, but the cutting speed isnt like something that sticks out much. But it allows you to pretty acceptably deburr off the stone.

If you wanted to fully deburr on it you probably could but, to me fully deburring on a 1k. The juice isn't worth the squeeze. Just takes more time and effort than i feel like putting in. Its easier to just mostly deburr then strop.

Finally tried out the king vitrified diamond 1k

Its porous and hold water well after soaking, about 5-10 minutes needed. Comes with a soft 1k ish nagura. How porous . . . Hmmm idk . . . Reminds me of cerax 320 pore size but the thing is, the pores aren't filled with clay like the cerax, . . . A bit like the gesshin 220 but less coarse pore size.

Dishes very slowly but I can feel it give. Cuts like a coarse stone. It auto slurries a dark grey, close to black but not jet black pure swarf. The stone gives a semi dark kasumi so definitely loose grit.Stone is also dark grey so hard to tell. Good if you can snag it, but I think the hk knives vitrified stones would be the way to go if I were shopping for a new 400 coarse stone, based on impressions and pictures. Seems harder than the venev resin diamond I tried though. Feel wise, it's faster than the fsk 400 by quite a bit, 30-40% faster, dishes much faster and doesn't need a nagura to make slurry. Sharpening feel is very predictable, fast, and smooth, probably the best feedback from a stone I've had. The fsk basically requires a nagura for me to be able to use it for thinning. Pictures when I use it again.

Back