Knife findings

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Damn that was literally less than a minute. I think I only saw the C knife even though I kept refreshing

**** maybe even less than 30 seconds

Same, had my order of A, D, G for priority. Didn’t matter. Checked A, clicked add to cart, sold out prompt. Went to D, same thing. Went back, all sold out. This was all within 15-20 seconds lol.
Yea I had one in my cart and it was sold out by the time I went to pay, didn't even think just clicked one. I would imagine a lot of people were trying. Gotta be an element of luck there

Luckily I got one phew
1714079993601.png

Honestly the more I think about it, the more incredible it is to me that I was able to get a knife from the last Etsy drop. Especially with how quickly these were snatched up

...minus the differential hardening (i.e. honyaki).
I understand what a honyaki is but I’m not as confident on the characteristics of a non-honyaki mono steel knife - do they have a uniform hardness? If so, are they especially fragile (because isn’t this precisely what differential hardening or cladding in softer material seeks to address?)? Or are they differentially hardened but in a way that does not manifest in a hamon?

I understand what a honyaki is but I’m not as confident on the characteristics of a non-honyaki mono steel knife - do they have a uniform hardness? If so, are they especially fragile (because isn’t this precisely what differential hardening or cladding in softer material seeks to address?)? Or are they differentially hardened but in a way that does not manifest in a hamon?

As far as I know, steels that can be differentially hardened will always show a hamon when differentially treated, maybe just not as strong as we'd like as geeky knife nerds. For example, Steeleport differentially hardness their knives in 52100 and show a subtle hamon but it's not something the polishers will like.

As for "fragility", the edge is the same as a clad knife so that is the same. Where you do need to take care is if you are trying to bend them, as they have more hardened steel and need to be handled differently.

Honyaki on kitchen knives is just an artisan thing and provides very little, if any, actual benefit.

Back