Lacquer recommendations for sealing the sides of thirsty stones?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chasingsharpness

Reaction score
I am currently considering sealing the sides of one of my synthetic lower grit stones in an effort to make it less thirsty. I have heard cashew laquer recommended but I am having some trouble finding local availability in the UK or import.

Does anyone have any recommendations for what would be best for sealing these stones?

I used rattle can M3 spray lacquer on my 220. Works much better now. Recommend.

Nvm, minwax. Anyway the cans are fine. Just dry the stone first.

Attachments

• IMG_6166.jpeg
    IMG_6166.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 0
Similar to the above, I used spray shellac. Tape up the sides you don't want the coating on, and go easy on the first coat. Unsealed stone may want to soak up the initial coat, so I found it helpful to let that one dry first, then for subsequent coatings you don't have to worry about it getting deep into the stone.

I just use this food safe all purpose lacquer you can buy from most UK DIY shops.

Don’t apply too many layers otherwise it peels, the sprays might be better for that.

IMG_1277.jpeg

I used rattle can M3 spray lacquer on my 220. Works much better now. Recommend.

Nvm, minwax. Anyway the cans are fine. Just dry the stone first.
I use the exact same on all my stone sealing. Never let me down.

5 or 6 coats with 30 minutes dry time in between, then 24 hours to fully dry.

Thank you for the recommendations everyone 👍. I will look at local availability and give it a go. Hopefully it will make a difference to how often the stone needs to be splashed with water!

Back