Lodge 12" Standard Skillet or Dual Handled Pan???

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HumbleHomeCook

Embrace your knifesculinity!
KKF Supporting Member
Reaction score
What're your thoughts?

https://www.amazon.com/Lodge-Skille...d=1703886450&sprefix=lodge+12+,aps,174&sr=8-1
https://www.amazon.com/Lodge-L10SKL...3886450&sprefix=lodge+12+,aps,174&sr=8-3&th=1

I'm leaning to the dual handle primarily for storage reasons but would also be one less handle sticking out on the stovetop. You're not tossing in the heavyweights so I'm not worried about that. The only downside I see to not having the traditional "stick" handle is maybe one-handed pouring but again, these are heavy.

It will be between these two and yes I have much experience with cast iron.

I always prefer stick handles because it's easier to maneuver the pan single handedly, even when just putting it on the stove, or quickly maneuvering it into an oven. The small loop handles make it a lot more annoying to move the pan one-handed. The small loop handles do fit in the oven easier though.
Never had huge issues storing stick handles, but admittedly I have all of mine in an open cabinet with all the handles sticking out. :D

The only downside I see to not having the traditional "stick" handle is maybe one-handed pouring but again, these are heavy.
You will not pour anything with one hand out of a 12" Lodge, especially not with the silicone handle. Trust me, I've tried.

I think the dual handle one is the right call. I have the normal one. I can lift the pan onto the stove top when empty, but there is no way that I can lift it with one hand once there is a kilo of food in there (and the pan holds a lot more than that).

The upshot is that I operate the pan with the stick handle using two hands most of the time anyway, so it might as well be the two-handled version. The one thing the stick handle is convenient for is pushing the pan around on the stove top, but I don't do that often enough to really justify the stick handle. If I were to buy another one, I'd get the two-handled version.

You will not pour anything with one hand out of a 12" Lodge, especially not with the silicone handle. Trust me, I've tried.

I think the dual handle one is the right call. I have the normal one. I can lift the pan onto the stove top when empty, but there is no way that I can lift it with one hand once there is a kilo of food in there (and the pan holds a lot more than that).

The upshot is that I operate the pan with the stick handle using two hands most of the time anyway, so it might as well be the two-handled version. The one thing the stick handle is convenient for is pushing the pan around on the stove top, but I don't do that often enough to really justify the stick handle. If I were to buy another one, I'd get the two-handled version.

Yep, those were all our same thoughts. I grew up cooking with cast iron and we used it for a while but got away from it for a long time and are now getting back into it.

The wife really wants to. I'd shown her the dual handled version a few weeks ago and she said we'd talk about it after Christmas. I basically made the same case you just did. So, I mentioned it this morning before she started work and she wanted to ponder it after she got going.

As I am now almost always prone to do, I popped on here to get all of your thoughts as no matter how mundane there always are some! But, before I knew it, she'd made the decision and ordered. 😁

But I do appreciate seeing your thoughts align with mine Michi.

Last edited:
She made the right call. I have the handled Lodge 12 and it's just too heavy with food in it for that stubby little handle to be worth a damn for lifting/leverage one-handed. Might as well have more room to throw It on grill/oven/range with the dual-handled one.

Edit: Michi couldn't be more right about pouring with the silicone handle on. It's...exciting.

Yeah there was a thread a while back about handle sheaths for pans and I was among those saying to just use a towel. I have the Lodge red silicon cover that came with our griddle pan and yeah, it's okay for moving it but surely not twisting with a load.

I use the standard 12" Lodge skillet and it works fine. The stubby handle isn't great, but makes it easier to store and helps it fit in my countertop oven. I wouldn't want it any longer. And the standard skillet has a helper handle opposite the actual handle and I've found that this makes it very easy to pick up with two hands. I don't think there's a big reason to favor the "two handled" version over the skillet if all you're concerned with is handling the pan.

As for handle covers, I have been using leather covers that I got off Amazon like five or six years ago. I much prefer them to silicone, which is too grippy and can be hard to clean. I got these leather ones to use with my Darto pans (they work perfectly) but they also fit my cast iron. There's something that feels so right about gripping hot iron with leather.

I have the 14". well, I had the 14". my brother claimed it when I took it to deer-camp. we made fried chicken in it way the hell up in the AZ desert. helper handle for sure.

if I got the 12, I would get the helper handle as well.

@HumbleHomeCook are you going to power sand it like everyone on YouTube is doing?

I have the 14". well, I had the 14". my brother claimed it when I took it to deer-camp. we made fried chicken in it way the hell up in the AZ desert. helper handle for sure.

if I got the 12, I would get the helper handle as well.

@HumbleHomeCook are you going to power sand it like everyone on YouTube is doing?

Absolutely not. I've always had the as-cast surface and it works just fine. The one smooth pan I tried some years ago didn't hold seasoning well.

I think I could get by with one knife. hahah.. it would be tough, but I think can manage. maybe I would cut something important on my hand peeling a persimmon with a big chef knife. hahah.

Back