MagnaCut passaround [LIVE]

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I received the knife today and here are some quick measurements:
205 mm * 53 mm
135 gram

The distal taper on the spine makes the tip very thin. The blade surface has some random light scratches and it is quite thick behind the edge. The profile doesn’t look like it has lost a lot steel though. I’ll try to sharpen it at a very low angle with the help of tape.

i liked everything about the knife aside from the fact that i utterly failed to sharpen it. i tried twice and then stopped because i didn't want to waste steel. i only got it sharp enough to cut printer paper (but not super well).

nice distal taper, well made handle. super solid knife, tbh. thank you @mengwong and @MSicardCutlery

anyway, i was so demoralized by my failure in sharpening this thing that i started looking into guided systems, lol. that's the genesis of the sharpworx pro passaround. considering i can sharpen my other knives, one would think that this wouldn't be any different with the right abrasives (which i have). maybe someday i'll figure out why.

i liked everything about the knife aside from the fact that i utterly failed to sharpen it. i tried twice and then stopped because i didn't want to waste steel. i only got it sharp enough to cut printer paper (but not super well).

nice distal taper, well made handle. super solid knife, tbh. thank you @mengwong and @MSicardCutlery

anyway, i was so demoralized by my failure in sharpening this thing that i started looking into guided systems, lol. that's the genesis of the sharpworx pro passaround. considering i can sharpen my other knives, one would think that this wouldn't be any different with the right abrasives (which i have). maybe someday i'll figure out why.
have you sharpened rex121 yet? I am curious at the comparison.. or maybe it'll only need sharpened in 2029 :)

have you sharpened rex121 yet? I am curious at the comparison.. or maybe it'll only need sharpened in 2029 :)

i have a knife in that but have not needed to sharpen it yet

Ok I have started to moderately thin it and it’s time consuming to do. I’ve finished just one side and it took me a good 30 minutes on a 400 grit diamond stone. If you don’t have a coarser diamond stone don’t do it.

Here’s a video showing the original edge bevel (not taped side obviously) and the relief bevel I just created. I can go thinner but my patience is challenging me. I’ll start the other side.

Alright, for reasons unknown I didn't get notified of any of the replied made to this thread since the beginning of the month, so sorry about that.

@MSicardCutlery, is the coupon a decent representation of the raw stock as-received? i mean i see it has a colorful oxide film on it, so i'm assuming the 'HT' is not as-received, but aside from that.. is the geometry and surface finish original? jw.

did that come off of the handle part?
That piece was the tang of one of my very first MC blades. I had rough ground it prior to HT and the tang became airborne when I went to straighten it during the temper. There were large 36 grit scratches left in the tang. I didn't think they'd be an issue as they can be with faster hardening steels, but lesson learned. I don't grind pre-ht on MC anymore. It's more grinding but less headache. The oxide colours are just a byproduct of the residual oxygen in the foil packet before it all burned up. From the mill the steel comes covered in a grey scale, which is significantly harder to grind the the steel itself.

As far as sharpening goes, I'm surprised you had such difficulty with the diamond stones you used. MC is quite crispy in my experience, but can take some care to deburr. I tend to use the cheapest diamond plates I can find to set the edges on it. I also tend to use exclusively edge leading strokes.

Ok I have started to moderately thin it and it’s time consuming to do. I’ve finished just one side and it took me a good 30 minutes on a 400 grit diamond stone. If you don’t have a coarser diamond stone don’t do it.

Here’s a video showing the original edge bevel (not taped side obviously) and the relief bevel I just created. I can go thinner but my patience is challenging me. I’ll start the other side.

Well done! Your work looks very clean!

I finished the relief bevel and it feels better in dense stuff now. I think it could still be thinner bte but I’m on the bottom of the list and it will see the maker very soon so I didn’t bother to remove excessive steel. I sharpened it on a 400 grit diamond stone and then stropped on a 3000 grit diamond stone. Sorry I don’t have diamonds in-between. I tried SP800 and it was super slow so I gave up. This thing really needs diamonds for sharpening.

Current choil’s shot,
8FA44857-9DE2-4061-AA66-841A537AA5FB.jpeg

Regarding the knife, I really like the profile. Push cut, rocking or chopping all feel natural to me. The weight balance is also good. Handle and choil are comfortable to hold, too. The food release is also very good.

The tip cutting doesn’t feel as smooth as I thought given how thin it is, which might be because it’s a little bent. Also the knife is a little too light to my taste overall. When I swing it, it doesn’t give me as much power as a heavier knife. I don’t usually use 210 so if it’s a 240 it should be heavier and something I’m more used to.

Here’s a cutting video,

Last edited:
Yes, thanks again to everyone for putting so much time and obsessive attention into learning together about the steel in general and this knife in particular…

… for doing so much experimental measuring and sharpening and thinning…

… for taking it to work and home to characterize performance on food and other tests, with photo and video …

… and for writing incredibly detailed and thoughtful reports drawn from vast experience with other steels and many stones. These reviews have enduring value and this thread has been linked from elsewhere as a reference on what to expect from MagnaCut.

I am grateful to everyone who participated also for dealing without complaint with the hassle of packaging and shipping at your own expense!

Special thanks to the maker of course for putting this creation into the world in the first place and for whipping it back into shape during a very busy period.

Expect this knife’s next appearance to be on the “What cuts better than a Denka?” thread 😜😎

Now I’m going to request that the moderators edit the “[LIVE]” out of this thread title. 🫠

Last edited:
Back