My Little Honey

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Much to the chagrin of my wife, I’ve built up quite a collection of stones. Half of my collection is kept and home and half at an apartment closer to work. This is my home / weekend collection.

IMG_8456.jpeg

From upper left to right (all are 8x3 unless otherwise noted) Dan’s Black, Dan’s Hard, Dan’s Washita, Ohira Suita, Sigma Power ceramic 1K hard, DMT Fine, Norton India Fine/Medium (glued together), Norton Crystalon Coarse / India Coarse (glued together), SK11 Diamond 150/600, DMT Diaflat-95 10x4.

I figured that I would just post these up incase anyone had interest or questions on any of these stones. If anyone wants to see any in action, I probably put something together.

Uniform sizes and 8×3 at that... Away from home during the week days you say? ...

Jokes aside, how is that dan's washita treating you? Also, are you using an oil for a lubricant on them? Also, what type of cutlery are you sharpening?

I have a much smaller version of that 'washita' I'm still trying to figure out.

Uniform sizes and 8×3 at that... Away from home during the week days you say? ...

Jokes aside, how is that dan's washita treating you? Also, are you using an oil for a lubricant on them? Also, what type of cutlery are you sharpening?

I have a much smaller version of that 'washita' I'm still trying to figure out.

Dan’s Washita is part of my “essential 3” knife finishers. The other two being a Dan’s Hard and an Ohira Suita. The Washita gets the most use because for cheap stainless, which needs frequent sharpening, there is simply no better edge to be had by any stone.

First, it does have its limitations: it is a slow stone, it will half burnish and half cut, edge geometry needs to be done on a faster synthetic, and it does need significant practice time put in. It isn’t nearly as plug-and-play as many synthetics.

Next, the surface needs to be set properly. I like all my edges well beveled, especially the top and bottom. This is to avoid any high spots that could quickly ruin a lot of hard work if hit in a bad way. After that, one side I will finish with 60 to 120 grit SiC, no higher. It needs to be coarse to help it cut. The other side I will finish to around 240 - 400 grit SiC or use a nagura or other stone to achieve a bit of a smoother surface. This side is used for any slight refinement from the coarser side. However, this side will generally be skipped if the plan is to finish on the Dan’s Hard with higher quality steels.

Due to the slow cutting, about half the time, I will use this stone dry as it cuts a little faster dry. Also about half the time I will use an improvised “Cliff Stamp” style of in-hand sharpening.

Here is my wife’s cheap stainless Wustoff, her favorite and most used knife. The edge geometry is set well and it has been thinned. The edge does not last very long at all and it needs to be touched up weekly.
Here is the in-hand dry sharpening on the 60 grit side only:

And here is the result:

The other half of the time I will use it with soapy water. Recently have been using water and instead of soap, a few drops of Smiths Honing Solution:
IMG_8501.jpeg

The Smiths just somehow bumps up the sharpness of edges a tad. I don’t know how but it is consistent and the stuff just works.

This is my Dalstrong Shogun Kiritsuke in Aus-10. I had a screaming edge on here before but I made some smoked pork shoulder and cutting into it and contacting the bone deformed the edge.
Here is the edge **after** work on both sides of the Washita with Smiths and a quick strop on pasted balsa. Note the remaining VISIBLE artifacts on the edge:

But it is back to being functional:

Lastly, for clean up, use a brush and a powder. I recommend Bar Keeper’s Friend. Unfortunately, someone moved mine and I don’t know where it is at now. Baking Soda will also work. Do not use a nagura or flattening plate or diamond plate. The surface needs to remain rough and coarse to do it’s best work.
IMG_8502.jpeg

Last edited:
Have you tried the Washita with oil?

I have not. I keep my stones in a drawer under the kitchen sink and do my sharpening in the kitchen. I’m wanting to keep all my stones on the same system there.
I have seen it mentioned that the Washita cuts much better on oil than water. I don’t know how oil vs. dry stacks up either.
I’ve also seen it mentioned that Dan’s Washita is more akin to a high quality soft Ark and is significantly different than a vintage true Washita. Im still holding out for a true vintage washita in 8x3 size but I haven’t come across a single instance of this yet. I think this is my last dream stone.

I have not. I keep my stones in a drawer under the kitchen sink and do my sharpening in the kitchen. I’m wanting to keep all my stones on the same system there.
I have seen it mentioned that the Washita cuts much better on oil than water. I don’t know how oil vs. dry stacks up either.
I’ve also seen it mentioned that Dan’s Washita is more akin to a high quality soft Ark and is significantly different than a vintage true Washita. Im still holding out for a true vintage washita in 8x3 size but I haven’t come across a single instance of this yet. I think this is my last dream stone.

8*2 is very common. Even 9*2. I have not seen any I can remember wider than 2 inches in person. I think Norton made a washita stone for the IM313 at one point. But even that is only 2.5 inches wide, although 11.5 inches long. I would love to get ahold of one of those.

What is appealing to you about such a wide stone? I have had several synthetics with those kinds of dimensions and I find them very difficult to keep lapped. I don't mind some dishing along the length axis for kitchen knife whetstones. Those wider stones tend to develop uneven wear across the left to right cross section. Where one side or corner starts getting lower than the rest of the stone. Not my cup of tea.

But I'll keep you in mind if I ever run across one. I buy and sell and trade Washitas all the time from eBay and flea markets.

8*2 is very common. Even 9*2. I have not seen any I can remember wider than 2 inches in person. I think Norton made a washita stone for the IM313 at one point. But even that is only 2.5 inches wide, although 11.5 inches long. I would love to get ahold of one of those.

What is appealing to you about such a wide stone? I have had several synthetics with those kinds of dimensions and I find them very difficult to keep lapped. I don't mind some dishing along the length axis for kitchen knife whetstones. Those wider stones tend to develop uneven wear across the left to right cross section. Where one side or corner starts getting lower than the rest of the stone. Not my cup of tea.

But I'll keep you in mind if I ever run across one. I buy and sell and trade Washitas all the time from eBay and flea markets.

I have an unhealthy desire for uniform sized stones. Example: when I tried the Norton India combo, I liked it. A lot. I bought the individual 8x3’s and glued them together to get the combo in an 8x3 format and I gave away the 8x2. I’m just OCD about this.

I’m willing to pay real good money for the right 8x3 washita. Please keep me in mind.

Side note: It baffles me that I’ve never seen a single washita for sale in Japan. Very odd.

Back