New - and living in the biggest japanese community in Europe.

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HomardBreton

Reaction score
Hi everyone - a warm hello from me to the group of blade enthusisasts. I am located in Duesseldorf, hosting the biggest japanese community in Europe. I am not owing any japanese knives so far, but beeing a passionate chef in my private life I am keen on learning a lot about them. At some point, I am hopefully the owner of a outstanding, one of a kind knife from a master blacksmith for my hobby of cooking.

Hi everyone - a warm hello from me to the group of blade enthusisasts. I am located in Duesseldorf, hosting the biggest japanese community in Europe. I am not owing any japanese knives so far, but beeing a passionate chef in my private life I am keen on learning a lot about them. At some point, I am hopefully the owner of a outstanding, one of a kind knife from a master blacksmith for my hobby of cooking.
Biggest in Germany, 3rd in Europe if you include UK (biggest) home for Japanese. I need to make a pilgrimage to Little Tokyo in Dusseldorf because the Japanese food here in Hannover sucks.
And welcome aboard. What have you ordered?

Biggest in Germany, 3rd in Europe if you include UK (biggest) home for Japanese. I need to make a pilgrimage to Little Tokyo in Dusseldorf because the Japanese food here in Hannover sucks.

Nothing ordered yet - it´s going to be a birthday present to myself. I am here to learn a bit more about the master blacksmiths and the kind of steel which is preferable... for sure, my first knife will be a yanagiba; but I have no idea, if Aogami or Shirogami is the material to go, or it´s all about a personal philiosophy. Read in the last couple of weeks, that a Tatsuo Ikeda would be a nice one. Let´s see, what´s coming up - may be here - as the classified section is huge.

I need to keep in mind, that the knife will be used and isn´t a collectible in the first instance.

Nothing ordered yet - it´s going to be a birthday present to myself. I am here to learn a bit more about the master blacksmiths and the kind of steel which is preferable... for sure, my first knife will be a yanagiba; but I have no idea, if Aogami or Shirogami is the material to go, or it´s all about a personal philiosophy. Read in the last couple of weeks, that a Tatsuo Ikeda would be a nice one. Let´s see, what´s coming up - may be here - as the classified section is huge.

I need to keep in mind, that the knife will be used and isn´t a collectible in the first instance.
Choose the maker and then figure out what steel they prefer to use. If this was a one and done I'd be aiming for a white steel honyaki. Ultimate edge durability is not really a concern for a yanagiba.

Welcome aboard!
Wondering, if I may ask, how you're going to maintain a yanagiba. I guess you're already familiar with sharpening double-bevelled knives?

Welcome aboard!
Wondering, if I may ask, how you're going to maintain a yanagiba. I guess you're already familiar with sharpening double-bevelled knives?
Thanks for welcoming me. Yes, I am familiar with sharpening double-bevelled knives, but I know, that these single ones are a complete different world. And as I have no experience in sharpening these kind of knives, I would go then for a professional handling through a third party - not risiking anything. That´s unfortunately the disadvantage for a total rookie.

Yes, I am familiar with sharpening double-bevelled knives, but I know, that these single ones are a complete different world. And as I have no experience in sharpening these kind of knives, I would go then for a professional handling through a third party - not risiking anything. That´s unfortunately the disadvantage for a total rookie.

Since you say that it is not to be a collectible, then there is no harm in "risking anything" by sharpening it yourself. You might go for a reputable but "mundane" yanagiba to begin with, have the honbazuke done professionally, and in future sharpen it yourself.

Last edited:
Back