New ATK video on Japanese Knives, actually not that bad

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Heckel7302

KKF Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nice to see a pretty well informed video from ATK.

Of course, being ATK they have to have their specific recommendations. We all know that’s hard with Japanese knives, especially catering to a wide audience. Their “picks” tend on the laser side of things and fairly available.

Based on their affiliate links, seems like they did their shopping at Bernal, Korin, and CKTG. Would have been fun to see a spread of everything they tested and figure out what else they tried.

I would have loved for them to apologize for ignoring a superior tool for so many years, but it was the first of their videos that I had even slight agreement with. Overdue, but welcome just the same

Yeah not bad at all. They aren’t holding them correctly or cutting with the right motion, but it’s definitely an improvement.

I saw the video a few days ago and thought the same thing. Maybe too much emphasis on mass-produced brands, but still not bad.
They sort of have to focus on more mass produced knives. It would be irresponsible for them to recommend small makers with limited production. I think in general it has a lot of useful information for newbs to make good decisions outside of their specific recommendations.

I do have to ding them for even uttering the words “pull-through-sharpener” though.

They sort of have to focus on more mass produced knives. It would be irresponsible for them to recommend small makers with limited production. I think in general it has a lot of useful information for newbs to make good decisions outside of their specific recommendations.

I do have to ding them for even uttering the words “pull-through-sharpener” though.
And with the currently stock situation now thank god they didn’t mention small makers

Back