Olive trunk for handles "bricks"

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello, I came for a few days to one of the many Greek islands.
I saw today that the house owner left 1 cubic meter of wood, from olive tree.
I chose this log with the idea of having it cut for me when I get back home, for one or more (kitchen) knife blocks for handles.
Is the log suitable or should I dig for another piece? Sorry, I don't have a tape measure, so I used a standard 1.5L water bottle as a guide.
Thanks!

Attachments

• PhotoPictureResizer_1675520347216_copy_828x620.jpg
    PhotoPictureResizer_1675520347216_copy_828x620.jpg
    488.1 KB · Views: 0
  • PhotoPictureResizer_1675520397509_copy_639x853.jpg
    PhotoPictureResizer_1675520397509_copy_639x853.jpg
    485 KB · Views: 0
  • PhotoPictureResizer_1675520439581_copy_648x865.jpg
    PhotoPictureResizer_1675520439581_copy_648x865.jpg
    485.2 KB · Views: 0
It certainly looks suitable to me, I'd get a moisture gauge to ensure it's dried out enough before I started shaping it. There's already some checking in the pith, so you'll have to account for it when you rough it down into blocks; should be some reasonably interesting figuring inside from what I can see.

I saw green leaves on some smaller branches... It seems the trees were alive?
If so, how long do I have to wait until the truck is dry and ready for shaping?
Thanks for the opinion!

I saw green leaves on some smaller branches... It seems the trees were alive?
If so, how long do I have to wait until the truck is dry and ready for shaping?
Thanks for the opinion!
If you break it down into smaller pieces and you leave it in a relatively humidity and temp controlled environment with room for air flow around them: 6-12 months until the moisture content comes down enough, It can take longer depending on a number of factors.

The first thing you need to do is check your home country's regulations on bringing in green wood, (wood that has not been kiln dried). If you can bring it in, then paint all the cut surfaces to slow the ends drying. The ends dry faster than the sides, and that's basically what causes the ends to crack. Without doing this, cracks may spread far enough to ruin the entire piece. Cut it into oversized block(s) as soon as possible so that it can dry faster.

Depending on where you live, it should be dried to somewhere around 7% to 13% moisture content. Once it reaches this moisture content, you can use it. However, wood will shrink and swell no matter what finish you put on it unless you have it stabilized.

It does look like it should have some nice figure though. Good luck!

I would paint the ends and let it dry for over a year. If it dries too fast, it will crack.

Cut it into oversized block(s) as soon as possible so that it can dry faster.
Very useful comment!
I just didn't understand when should I cut it as sequence...1. I paint the ends and leave it to dry (how to check for how long?) 2. I cut it to oversized blocks and leave it to dry more?

The wood needs to dry evenly so it will not crack. You paint the ends to slow the bare wood drying more like the wood that has bark on it.

If you want to cut it, then don't paint it as it will not dry evenly. But remember the bottom needs to dry like the sides and top so you need to raise it up using a block or something to allow the bottom to dry if you cut it up.

Either method works. I like painting and not doing any work until the wood is dry ready to use.

I have some pecan about 8-inch-thick limb about 15 feet which broke out of my pecan tree with this ice storm we had a few days ago. I will section it with the chainsaw. I will cut a couple of pieces with the bandsaw after it dries to see if I get some pretty wood. If I don't like it, I will use it for smoking wood in my smoker.
IMG_4937.jpg

Last edited:
The wood needs to dry evenly so it will not crack. You paint the ends to slow the bare wood drying more like the wood that has bark on it.

If you want to cut it, then don't paint it as it will not dry evenly. But remember the bottom needs to dry like the sides and top so you need to raise it up using a block or something to allow the bottom to dry if you cut it up.

Either method works. I like painting and not doing any work until the wood is dry ready to use.

I have some pecan about 8-inch-thick limb about 15 feet which broke out of my pecan tree with this ice storm we had a few days ago. I will section it with the chainsaw. I will cut a couple of pieces with the bandsaw after it dries to see if I get some pretty wood. If I don't like it, I will use it for smoking wood in my smoker.
View attachment 223473
Sorry to see the tree broken. I hope you will find the proper applications of the wood. Good luck.

View attachment 223473

You will get the most figure where the limb forks.

It is all cut up now. Next year who knows. I will show a couple of blocks on this forum if they don't split drying.

Hi guys, it is 6 months since I created this thread. It is time to show you the results from handling this project.
After I dried the olive trunks I handed them to a friend with skillful hands who made 3 blades for me: a cleaver called "almazan", a hunting knife and a filleting knife. The blocks for the handles of the cleaver and filleting were not perfect, so he had to clean and remove the rotten wood pulp and fill it with razin. I chose 2 loose knife blades, SS, from Morakniv - Sweden. They have bronze bolsters and pins.
The cleaver is very handy, the blade is carbon, handmade. I just love all of them, not just because they are beautiful, bt also bc they remind me for my stay to that Greek island.

Attachments

• алмазан 1.jpg
    алмазан 1.jpg
    346.6 KB · Views: 0
  • алмазан 4.jpg
    алмазан 4.jpg
    123.5 KB · Views: 0
  • алмазан 5.jpg
    алмазан 5.jpg
    276.3 KB · Views: 0
  • ловен нож 1.jpg
    ловен нож 1.jpg