petty prep knuckle clearance

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’m interested option hear why people are saying less than 40. Perhaps I’m wrong. It if I want a super small task I grab a paring knife. So that I would want in like a sub 36mm height.

But if I want a longer blade but not a full gyuto size then I feel like 40 is a good height compared to the length.

So for example I had a Shibata ko bunka in like 130 x 40 (I think) and it was fine but using the 180 x40 petty, the bunka seems less convenient in that height. Where as when I use my 70 x20 mm paring knife it is perfect for strawberries.

I’m interested option hear why people are saying less than 40. Perhaps I’m wrong. It if I want a super small task I grab a paring knife. So that I would want in like a sub 36mm height.

But if I want a longer blade but not a full gyuto size then I feel like 40 is a good height compared to the length.

So for example I had a Shibata ko bunka in like 130 x 40 (I think) and it was fine but using the 180 x40 petty, the bunka seems less convenient in that height. Where as when I use my 70 x20 mm paring knife it is perfect for strawberries.

My paring knives stay in my hand off the board. Also... a paring knife that is 36mm tall is a petty.

I have small hands. My fav petty is 30mm tall.

Trimming fat off something like a brisket or pork shoulder, thinner is better so you can maneuver and change your angles/depth easily. For slicing raw proteins a lower height reduces friction making the cut easier but more importantly not moving the meat around as you slice. And anytime you need to follow a curve like taking the rind off a watermelon, lower height is better.

It could be argued that all of the above tasks are a job for a slicer, which I guess is how I use a low petty.

56!
1710353870616.jpeg

JK. This thing is a total outlier.

For parer and pettys the work I do is tip work, in hand work or pull cuts.
If people really want to push cut with a 150mm-180mm knife with knuckle clearance that’s fine but we’re really just describing a gyuto now.

We like to make them up to 40 mm. Anything above 40 mm feels a little bit weird for a petty.

Harbeer, I've got three non-answers for you if you're asking for personal opinion.

180 petty? My choice is a thin mono steel carbon 180 x 30mm. I use this for trimming and slicing. Too narrow for much board work but my preference in that category.

Shorter than 180 but for board work? 170 x 56mm nakiri.

Compact but pointy profile and wide enough for board work? 210x37mm mono stainless "short suji" or what I think some others would describe as a "line knife." 37mm is wide enough for clearance while slicing well. Love this and probably my most used at home. I've considered sending you the one I have so you can make me one in Cru Wear with the same dimensions.

40mm seems like a good minimum height to me too, and anything above 44-45mm starts feeling a little more like a mini gyuto than a petty.
Same here.

I think just a little extra height (40mm not 35mm) is helpful, but too much (45+mm) gets into baby-gyuto territory.

Also, just that little bit of height difference at 40mm can be helpful with a pinch grip. Every now and then with short petties, the blade corner will nip my finger. Sure, this is a user problem and shouldn’t happen. But it still happens sometimes.

I think everyone brings very valid points to this conversation. So lets make a Petty sliding scale!

29mm or Less - Tiny Sujihiki. Not meant to be used on board, unless hand position and grip are adjusted accordingly.
31-38 - Tall Petty. For most users, this height affords "knuckle clearance"
40-45 - Mini Gyuto. For Average to large sausage sizes
47+ - Santoku. For the 3 virtues.

My Funayuki Bocho is 125x38 and I freaking love it. A skosh tall for paring type tasks but doable but excels at other stuff from quick board work to poultry butchery. It has become one of my most used knives. Very handy.

I think the taller petty idea comes from one the idea of a multipurpose “prep” knife.

Short length for ease of use.
Enough height for board use
General feeling of safety of having the heel a bit further away, but still can do some hand work because its not too tall

Its for someone who loves cooking but is scares of knives if that makes sense!

But ive tried so many different small profiled petty/gyutos and had to sell here or gift them away. I am very confident in this design based on a number of failed different wife knives (yoshi santoku, nigara petties, ginsan kagekiyos, wusthofs, bigger ksabs, shibata, nigara sg2 dammys).

Some people like to use diff knife for diff purposes.

Some just want to use 1 for 90%of tasks and get familiar with it as a tool in hand.

Back