• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Kitchen Knife Forums and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Withdrawn (Price Drop) Shigeki Tanaka 240 x 55 R2/SG2 Gyuto with Wa Handle

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
This is such an underrated knife in my opinion. I wanted to try S. Tanada's R2/SG2 for a long time, but couldn't pull the trigger on the famous ironwood version at around $1,000 price point. I saw KnS's comment in the thread below about the wa handle and the ironwood western version basically have the same blade and pulled the trigger on this one right away.

https://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/...ronwood-r2-and-tanaka-wa-r2.32777/post-489687

It is really a good knife. I was a little worried about potential damascus drag as this looks like one of those damascus blades that can have some drag. I absolutely hate damascus drag. Glad to say I have not found this knife to have any damascus drag. Even better - the damascus adds very subtle texture to the blade surface and helps with food release quite a bit. I liked the Myojin SG2 I tried, but it had a lot stiction. Not this one.

Not much else to say about this knife. I would call it a high performing, no non-sense, worry free mid weight. S. Tanaka is famous for his R2/SG2 knives and I now know why. If you are like me who always wanted to try this, but don't want to pay for the ironwood, try this one at a very reasonable price.

I'm the second owner. The first owner didn't use it and I only used it for test cuts in a home environment. Selling because I have a Kipp AEL-B coming and I only keep one SS knife.

It comes with a nice wooden box.

Asking $375 $325, G&S fee and CONUS shipping with full insurance included. Will cover the first $15 for outside of CONUS.

Last edited:
IMG_8491.png
IMG_8492.png
IMG_8493.png
IMG_8494.png
IMG_8495.png
IMG_8496.png
IMG_8497.png
IMG_8498.png

Drop to $350. If you haven't tried a S. Tanaka R2/SG2 before, pretty safe to give it a try at this price IMO. Will make a post office run tomorrow to ship a few knives out. If sold before noon ish tomorrow, I will ship it out tomorrow.

no BS. I have no idea why this isn't moving quicker. I truly believe this is a good knife. Pretty tempting to just keep it, but I have too many knives...now i have two more stainless on the way...

no BS. I have no idea why this isn't moving quicker. I truly believe this is a good knife. Pretty tempting to just keep it, but I have too many knives...now i have two more stainless on the way...
Old Man Voice: It's always been this way. The tastes of KKF come and go like the tides... One day you can sell a DT in 3 minutes marked up for inflation, a few months later everyone asks "who dat" and memes on you.

Also this one may sit in that limbo zone of a bit too expensive for newcomers to the hobby and a bit too normal for the old timers here chasing unicorns. I, for one, am VERY tempted even though I just bought a 240 yoshikane here earlier this afternoon just to see which performs better. I suspect the $275-350 zone is just not pointed at the demographics of this forum. That said...if I don't buy it there are certainly more like me who, while we may marvel at the workmanship and beauty of the cray-cray that gets posted here could never justify the cost and risk divorce by doing so. It'll sell, just a smaller segment of the market I suspect so may take slightly longer.

Also this one may sit in that limbo zone of a bit too expensive for newcomers to the hobby and a bit too normal for the old timers here chasing unicorns. I, for one, am VERY tempted even though I just bought a 240 yoshikane here earlier this afternoon just to see which performs better. I suspect the $275-350 zone is just not pointed at the demographics of this forum. That said...if I don't buy it there are certainly more like me who, while we may marvel at the workmanship and beauty of the cray-cray that gets posted here could never justify the cost and risk divorce by doing so. It'll sell, just a smaller segment of the market I suspect so may take slightly longer.
Yea I agree. I found this price range and $700/$800 ish price range challenging to sell. Still though, no one like me who has always wondered about this knife but never tried? how much more can you lose at this price point?

Back