Rehandle Magnacut

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Haven't done a western handle in years. Had scales in a tansu chest. Looked on this thread was second page when I bought table top drill press & Kalamazoo 1X42 may 2013.

Back then really liked the burl wood with two tone sap & heart wood. The skinny plastic handle on magnacut not good for my big mitts.
The scales split right where colors meet so one side red & other more sap wood.
20230927_111118.jpg
20230927_111546.jpg
20230927_110900.jpg

20230927_111045.jpg
20230917_144826.jpg

Thanks when bought the Magnacut used it two months still cut tomatoes. Then wanted to thin & see how sharp I could get it. Because of fine grains razor sharp. When put in vise to remove handle thought better tape that blade. Went to get single edge flat chisel & tape. When came back Janice had hung dish towels over work table I told her going to remove handle can hang over the hood of my forrester pulled them down went around to hang over hood caught tip of blade just above hip area. It cut through my T shirt, cotton shorts elastic band of underwear a thin 1.5" flesh slice like had been cut with razor blade. It stopped bleeding through bandage after one day. Seniors comedy central.
20230923_113459.jpg

Thanks when bought the Magnacut used it two months still cut tomatoes. Then wanted to thin & see how sharp I could get it. Because of fine grains razor sharp. When put in vise to remove handle thought better tape that blade. Went to get single edge flat chisel & tape. When came back Janice had hung dish towels over work table I told her going to remove handle can hang over the hood of my forrester pulled them down went around to hang over hood caught tip of blade just above hip area. It cut through my T shirt, cotton shorts elastic band of underwear a thin 1.5" flesh slice like had been cut with razor blade. It stopped bleeding through bandage after one day. Seniors comedy central.
Nice rehandle job! I was going to ask how the magnacut performs but I think your unfortunate injury answers the question. 😬🤣

I'd just like to give credit to Larrin Thomas & Blokey for turning me on to his The Story of Knife Steel. Have always enjoyed Larrin's posts didn't realize he could figure out a super steel & have it produced. I've known that it is much hyped in the folder & outdoor blade crowd since it came out. It's expensive, but has excellent edge retention & if you have tools & sharpening skills it's not as hard as some have posted to put a shaving sharp edge. The Bradford is a stamped stock removal blade. HT is good, I like that it is mono steel should last a long time. Just had a crappy plastic handle on it.

Latest posts

Back