Restored my late father’s rusty old Briddell cleaver.

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aristotle Smart

Reaction score
My father was a butcher for about 40 years. His father was also a butcher for about 4 decades. I found this cleaver in his garage as I cleaned it out.

The new handles are black walnut oiled with cutting board oil. They look a bit rough, but I think that is exactly right for this brute.

Attachments

• Briddell_old_2.JPG
    Briddell_old_2.JPG
    395.1 KB · Views: 0
  • Briddell_old_1.JPG
    Briddell_old_1.JPG
    341.3 KB · Views: 0
  • Briddell_restored.jpg
    Briddell_restored.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 0
That's a great job restoring that beauty! Did u use an electrolysis tank? Letters seem to be well preserved after, which means u did not go harsh on removing the rust with a grinder or anything aggressive. Again, amazing job saving that heirloom piece!🔥

Edit: rehandling looks very well done and solid work!👌🏻

That's a great job restoring that beauty! Did u use an electrolysis tank? Letters seem to be well preserved after, which means u did not go harsh on removing the rust with a grinder or anything aggressive. Again, amazing job saving that heirloom piece!🔥

Edit: rehandling looks very well done and solid work!👌🏻
Thank you. No electrolysis at all. I used 150 grit sandpaper on my drill for removing the rust. Then 300 grit on the metal. Then I did the fine shaping of the wood with a Dremel.

What a cool restoration project!! I’m sure pops would love it!

Evapo Rust works very well as a first step in restoring a rusty knife like this. I does not affect the surface finish at all but strips the corrosion by chelation. totally nontoxic and re-useable. It does not damage the metal. The rusty knife can be left in the solution for extended periods of time. You simply brush the knife off under running water, dry and oil it to prevent flash rusting as you continue the restoration.

Back