Sabatier Rue st honore 84 Paris France

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bagotnj

Reaction score
Day 2, this sabatier is a project. It’s a sabatier rue at honore 84, made in Paris France. I have a nice “new old stock” ebony handle for it. I just need a large ferrule, and with a little modification of the tang and epoxy work, it should be nice and functional. The size and profile is nice, with plenty of life left, so I believe it’s worth restoring.

Attachments

• IMG_0661.jpeg
    IMG_0661.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0662.jpeg
    IMG_0662.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0663.jpeg
    IMG_0663.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0664.jpeg
    IMG_0664.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
Haha, yeah. It was rehandled and I believe they welded more metal on the original tang and then threaded it to fit into new handle. I despised the new handle so I took it off. Ill probably have to grind the tang back to fit it my new nogent handle.
Is that tang threaded?!?!

Here’s the knife before I took off the handle. I’m replacing the handle with the ebony handle on the top right.

Attachments

• IMG_0795.png
    IMG_0795.png
    2.6 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0796.png
    IMG_0796.png
    2.9 MB · Views: 0
Here’s the knife before I took off the handle.
Jeebus that's hideous.
But that handle is also an old repair that has some serious character to it. While I enjoy re-handling, IMO re-handling this isn't going to improve the functionality of this knife by a too much, nor it's value.
Again, IMHO, this is only a wall-hanger/display piece at this stage in it's life.

On the other hand... having so many original(ish) scales available why would you not try to make this as original as it once was? Maybe you can reuse that brass ferrule?

One thing I've tried to incorporate in my re-handling is original parts; be they pins, ferrules, rivets, or even some part of the original scales (if they're still viable.)

In any event I certainly enjoy your posts here and look forward to seeing whatever you decide to do.

Latest posts

Back