Seasoned Wok - Does This Look Right?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Witterings

Reaction score
I've just got a new Wok and seasoned it today but where I've finished there are these areas of raised semi circle dimples (not sure how clearly you can see but pics attached) and around the top it's very "sticky" in parts.

To start I gave it a really good scrub with a wire pan scrubber and washing up liquid, dried then heated the whole of the pan till it changed colour everywhere, let it cool and then with kitchen towel applied a very thin coating of oil, reheated all over until it stopped smoking and repeated the last step 2 more times.

My only concern is that maybe I didn't scrub it hard enough to get all of the coating from the factory off, I did go at it for a good 5 / 10 minutes but wasn't excessively aggressive as I didn't want to scratch the pan.

Anybody any idea if it may be that or anything else that may have caused it and would you think it's good to use?

Attachments

• 77010229-880F-42E1-9E6A-BB105BC9D9A8.JPG
    77010229-880F-42E1-9E6A-BB105BC9D9A8.JPG
    5.3 MB · Views: 0
  • C1CD3EA3-3416-44F7-8E24-881A9E180FAC.JPG
    C1CD3EA3-3416-44F7-8E24-881A9E180FAC.JPG
    5.2 MB · Views: 0
From what i've understood with carbon steel pans and woks is that the layers of oil have to be very very very thin and light. What this means in the real world is coating it in a layer of oil and then doing several rounds of wiping with dry paper towels to make sure you get any residual / visible oil off it. There is still a micro level layer of oil left behind that then needs to be heated up.

Most people over oil the pan when establishing layers through heating and cooling

looks like too much oil to me. or not enough heat.

i got mine almost blue from the heat. it was tough to even be near it, at some points.

Cheers all ..... seems like everyone agrees, is ther anything I can / should do or just use it and enjoy?

Also did you do the underneath of just the inside?

I would strip the seasoning and start again, personally.

I do all exposed Carbon steel surfaces.

It seems like just a bit too much oil. I wouldn't bother doing anything other than cooking with it. Usually if you left some factory coating on, a paper towel will wipe up with some black stuff instead of just oil/nothing.

I would put it under highass heat again. Scrub it again. And then make popcorn! (Only if you have a lid). Popcorn is very spritzy with the oil. :)

What's best to get it off with, going at it with one of these
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/256133553985

or something more severe like sandpaper?
Sodium hydroxide solution 20% works a treat. Some drain openers are essentially that solution; read labels. Spread about 50 ml with a bit of fine steel wool. Wear gloves!

If that is hard to find, solvent-based paint stripper is also pretty effective.

What's best to get it off with, going at it with one of these
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/256133553985

or something more severe like sandpaper?

I’d give it a try for sure. Even a green scrubby pad (scotchbrite is what I have)

Honestly whatever works and you have on hand.

I used steel wool since I had it on hand. Barkeepers Friend was my agent of choice. Also, because it was on hand.

Really it’s like sharpening. A balance between speed and refining scratches.

Latest posts

Back