Show us your sticks (finished handle projects)...

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Believe me… I’ve had to do over many… many… times before getting to something near acceptable. Just keep at it and always remember to have fun. Can’t emphasise this enough ❤️
Agree 100%. I am assuming I'll get better with each attempt. I learned a tremendous amount, especially the limits lateral force on my files. :oops: I am finally doing my first handle with the dowel method, should be a game changer for me. I got a few attachments that will make the work cleaner too. I didn't start too big so I could find out what I do and don't need/want. I guess I may be learning something as I usually go and get something above average to start with, not knowing what I don't know. I have a ton of materials at my disposal, I just don't want to waste any.

Agree 100%. I am assuming I'll get better with each attempt. I learned a tremendous amount, especially the limits lateral force on my files. :oops: I am finally doing my first handle with the dowel method, should be a game changer for me. I got a few attachments that will make the work cleaner too. I didn't start too big so I could find out what I do and don't need/want. I guess I may be learning something as I usually go and get something above average to start with, not knowing what I don't know. I have a ton of materials at my disposal, I just don't want to waste any.
I suck at the dovel trick, so I just stuck with the old school way 😂 Bought drills in all kind of odd sizes.

From the name I'm guessing Knives and Guns is probably not a UK based operation. ;)
🤣

I actually bumped into our handle guy yesterday, and apparently the handles they're making from this wood are not going to be stabilized, and finished with some kind of wax rather than the osmo we use on most other stuff. So might try that too. Will report back...
Out of interest, which Osmo product do you guys mostly use? PolyX?

S!ht sorry. Didn’t see your comment and thank you very much 🙏

No worries. I just wish I was that good!

Out of interest, which Osmo product do you guys mostly use? PolyX?

Not sure exactly which off the top of my head. I’ll snap a picture of the tin when I’m in tomorrow.

When I was in Aus I used to use a very good range of hardwax oils that Carbatec have. I’d certainly recommend these if you’ve not tried…

https://www.carbatec.com.au/search?ProductSearch=Evolution hardwax

So I have discovered. Got some native Australian desert ironwood and some ziricote and I don’t care to admit how much I spent! Hope the handles come up alright!
Ah when I responded earlier I hadn't realized you also make handles haha. Yours are lovely! Very nice work.

Back