Show your newest gear!

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So, I got myself a high-end mandoline šŸ˜… Iā€™ve had my eye on one of these for years but couldnā€™t justify plopping +200ā‚¬ on one. This came up on a local online auction site for less than 100ā‚¬, so I justā€¦ had to get it. Pretty much mint. Will complement my knives and the Rƶsle handheld slicer perfectly. šŸ˜Š

Attachments

• IMG_7043.jpeg
    IMG_7043.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
So, I got myself a high-end mandoline šŸ˜… Iā€™ve had my eye on one of these for years but couldnā€™t justify plopping +200ā‚¬ on one. This came up on a local online auction site for less than 100ā‚¬, so I justā€¦ had to get it. Pretty much mint. Will complement my knives and the Rƶsle handheld slicer perfectly. šŸ˜Š
Ya, gonna need a review on that bad boy, looks awesome!

That looks seriously nice! How are the ergonomics?

I have a Bƶrner that is more than 30 years old. It works well. But, being made of plastic, it probably wouldnā€™t fare as well in a professional setting.
Will post my thoughts on that once I come back from a work trip (will be back on Friday) and have had a chance to actually use it. It certainly feels extremely solid, and well thought out. Spare parts availability was also something I checked prior to purchase, all good on that front. Initial thoughts? This thing was built for use.

Now I just have to figure out what to make with it first :D Any suggestions?

Potato pave? That's the dish that's tempting me to buy a mandoline.

I was lucky to work at Williams Sonoma as their cooking instructor/manager and used that quite a few times. It has a solid feel and the rail holder was solid. I felt like the blades could be sharpener but they did the job. If you have the dice function, it can be hit or miss but on the whole, it's a decent mandoline.

Will post my thoughts on that once I come back from a work trip (will be back on Friday) and have had a chance to actually use it. It certainly feels extremely solid, and well thought out. Spare parts availability was also something I checked prior to purchase, all good on that front. Initial thoughts? This thing was built for use.

Now I just have to figure out what to make with it first :D Any suggestions?
I love using mine for a Spanish tortilla

If youā€™re looking for something besides potatoes, I love shaved fennel salads.

https://www.loveandlemons.com/shaved-fennel-salad/

Itā€™s kind of interesting, she notes in the recipe that her mandoline has stayed sharp. Mine has too, I doubt if I ever sharpened it. I also put it in the dishwasher plenty of times.

Makes you realize just how much board contact causes dullness on your blades.

Last edited:
No joke on the board contact. I am convinced just about all edge loss is due to either board contact or microcorrosion.

On the knife front I have a honesuki that probably can do 50-100 pounds of chicken before it loses the nail biting edge. For the knives with board contact, the only ones that can make it through even half that much produce without needing a few strops are the stainless ones. Iā€™m a home cook mine, so both situations take months, with carbon blades including the honesuki stored oiled.

On the non knife front I have a double edge razor blade that is turning 4 years old this year. Still shaves without issue. Wash. Dry (carefully). Handstrop. Store.

Even board material can be a surprising difference. I used to see that HDPE is ā€˜fineā€™ for your knives. Using it occasionally when Iā€™m lazy (or chopping up raw protein) I see a drastic change in edge life between it and either end grain or side grain.

I sharpened the Benriner a few years ago....it was needed and I just got the stones so just tried it. My full size Mandoline has fixed blades (weird enough) but that one stays quite sharp indeed.

Can you still send it back?
I have one of those extra coarse microplanes and while it might be good for cheese it's a complete POS for carrots imo.

Although I'm not necessarily 100% satisfied with my Rƶsle coarse grater either it's a lot better for carrots and other hard veg.

My gut feeling is I probably should have just bought a Benriner instead.
Well now I'm gonna set out to prove you wrong and grate the best carrots I've ever grated on this POS. Will report back.

Works perfectly fine, so good it even took out a scoop of one of my knuckles.
20240409_184933.jpg

Works perfectly fine, so good it even took out a scoop of one of my knuckles.
View attachment 314141
Oh sure it cuts. But the shreds are too thin, wet and mushy, and the thing is just too flexible. So you have a bendy piece of sharp stuff that creates IMO a mediocre result (Rƶsle grates far better carrots).
Sharp enough to cut you but not so sharp that it actually shreds well without any pressure. Rƶsle has the same problem but at least its shreds make for way better salad.

Oh sure it cuts. But the shreds are too thin, wet and mushy, and the thing is just too flexible. So you have a bendy piece of sharp stuff that creates IMO a mediocre result (Rƶsle grates far better carrots).
Sharp enough to cut you but not so sharp that it actually shreds well without any pressure. Rƶsle has the same problem but at least its shreds make for way better salad.
Okay I admit it, you're right. You were right all along. I apologize for my hubris.

undisputed for larger shreds carrot. and if you consider the price, itā€™s beyond anything imaginable. for anything else: mostly useless.

FD29C1A0-79E1-486A-A7B8-CD2D06DD8F11.jpeg

undisputed for larger shreds carrot. and if you consider the price, itā€™s beyond anything imaginable. for anything else: mostly useless.

View attachment 314152

My Dad used to take a screwdriver to one of our box graters to open up the holes a little bit bigger. We would have a regular box grater and the beefy grater.

Okay I admit it, you're right. You were right all along. I apologize for my hubris.
I didn't mean to sound that condescending... but I think the fact that you cut yourself did kinda prove my point. The thing just feels outright dangerous to use. I really regret buying that one.... and I've cut myself more with that one than I have with my finer Microplanes even tho I use those at least 10 times more.

Not newest, but I got a lighter River Light fry pan from Rakuten, they have 1.8mm and 3.2mm with both wooden and strip steel handles, nitrided surface so less prone to rust. The lighter one works better for me since my back is not in great shape.

This store has some nice ironwares
https://www.rakuten.co.jp/ganbareokusan/
View attachment 314752

You like these? Interested but I'm on a coil stovetop so concerned about them being thin and maybe overheating.

You like these? Interested but I'm on a coil stovetop so concerned about them being thin and maybe overheating.
Good on gas, they do have a 3.2mm one tho, with shipping in mind Darto is probably a better buy. With thinner pans just medium heat is usually enough. The wooden handle is great for home use since i rarely use stove to oven cooking, more grip and no towel needed. That said they do have a more professional version.
https://item.rakuten.co.jp/ganbareokusan/ok-r8127566/
https://item.rakuten.co.jp/ganbareokusan/r8005857/

They also have this absolutely chunker
https://item.rakuten.co.jp/ganbareokusan/yy-4905343081029/

Last edited:
Good on gas, they do have a 3.2mm one tho, with shipping in mind Darto is probably a better buy. With thinner pans just medium heat is usually enough. The wooden handle is great for home use since i rarely use stove to oven cooking, more grip and no towel needed. That said they do have a more professional version.
https://item.rakuten.co.jp/ganbareokusan/ok-r8127566/
https://item.rakuten.co.jp/ganbareokusan/r8005857/

They also have this absolutely chunker
https://item.rakuten.co.jp/ganbareokusan/yy-4905343081029/

Thank you.

That looks seriously nice! How are the ergonomics?

I have a Bƶrner that is more than 30 years old. It works well. But, being made of plastic, it probably wouldnā€™t fare as well in a professional setting.
Soooo... I gave it a go for julienning some carrots (2mm x 2mm). Observations... need to learn to work it better. I mean, it did its thing ok, but it also felt a bit clunky. It might be my technique, might be that I didn't set it up just right, etc.

Did it feel safe? Actually, yes. Your non-dominant hand grabs the handle at the back stabilizing the whole thing, and the dominant hand then operates the sled back and forth. It takes a bit of force depending on how dense produce you are cutting but the only way I see it being dangerous is when you switch blades, etc. When operating it? I would attribute any carnage that might ensue to user error. As in, you have to be careful and do no stupid. So I think one shouldn't be afraid of using one, you just need to treat it with the kind of respect any other tool with sharp blades and moving parts warrants.

What became evident was that if I am not doing a ton of X (like prepping several kilos of potatoes to cubes or sticks for french fries), I am better served by my knives and/or the handheld Rƶsle mandoline. Setting it up and cleaning it especially is a bit of a chore, as it is a rather large device. It also leaves behind a mess, and the bits that didn't end up cut feel like waste (yeah yeah, I will get that stock pot going...).

Overall, I am kind of happy about the purchase. Admittedly, it might not see that much use but when I need it, it is nice to have.

Last edited:
Well. The upgraditis hit hard. Got what are considered the best conical coffee burrs in the world coming in, so I picked up the helor106 to house them. Nearly 2kg of frankly incredible machining, 71mm burrs, 5:1 reduction gearing. To say Iā€™m impressed is a mild understatement.It shipped in a cardboard box ensconced in 2ā€ of styrofoam on all sides which is frankly hilarious given the price, but given the quality of the build Iā€™m happy to pay for that instead of fancy packaging. If it doesnā€™t grind coffee the way you want it, you could beat the beans into submission and flavorful compliance due to the mass of this thing.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
Since it's January 7th and Christmas is officially over, I thought I'd post my full Christmas haul. Some were gifts purchased for me (off a list that people asked me to create) and others were gifts I purchased for myself from that same list with cash I was given. So without further ado, here it is:

The starter set of Chef's Presses, the Everyday set of Anyday microwave cookware/bowls, the Zyliss/Olive Garden parm shredder, a Victoria tortilla press, a Takamura 150mm petty, tongs and a ladle from Rosle, and a Chopula from Dreamfarm.

View attachment 292002

The 1.4oz Rosle ladle rounds out my ladle collection. For now. Happy to finally try these tongs out.

View attachment 292003

And also that nesting set of 2qt stainless strainer bowls I mentioned upthread.

View attachment 292004
Iā€™m amazed that the Rosle ladles donā€™t have a capacity marking anywhere on them.

Back