This Is Where I’m At, State of the Collection

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scott

Reaction score
IMG_5615.jpeg

Pictured (In Order)

Xerxes Workhorse 275 x 58*
Bidinger B Grind 248 x 56
Yanick 254 x 60
Birgersson 248 x 59
Kippington 242 x 55
Milan 226 x 56
Kamon 229 x 53*
TheNine 208 x 56
Shihan 236 x 56

Not Pictured

Lucid 240 x 56

After chasing after the next thing for nearly a year, I don’t see myself acquiring or releasing many more pieces. Although apparently there is still some room for change as I spontaneously released two this weekend.

With one more piece coming in soon, I think there is one or two other knives that I’d like to acquire.

It was quite a journey, and I learnt a lot about my personal preferences. Will update again, once I have everything together.

On the collection though, I imagined most of the handles to have slight variations to each other but all dressed in a classy dark colour. Intending to have accents and characteristics of the maker who made them but attuned to my preferences. I’d like to imagine I have been fairly successful thus far in maintaining this. However, with 3 of the makers that I intend to keep, their signature “look” is a monohandle and I’m juggling how to introduce variation to this aspect. After all, what is the point of a great performing knife without its signature look.

Last edited:
Do you use them to cut things? Do you have a favorite?
Yeah, some I haven’t used used as yet but I definitely tested them out. I cleaned some of them for the group picture. In fact on some, you might be able to see my not so good attempts at polishing on them haha. Hard to image polishing around convexity but learning as I go.

I think my favourite is the Bidinger by quite a bit, followed by theNine and Birgersson.

It boggles my mind how much time and effort it took to acquire not just all these pieces — but all of the other ones we can’t see which I know you had to find and then release one by one to be able to arrive at a collection like this.

And to have the attention to detail to curate the handles so beautifully too…

Amazing stuff!!

Back