Tip Repair + Distal Taper

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paosquared

Reaction score
after doing a tip repair, is it worth trying to fix the loss of distal taper?

The cases can be very different, depending on how drastic the distal taper is and how much has been removed. Quite some blades have a relative thickening at the very tip. The location of the tip can be different: spear point, or low, as in traditional gyutos. You may want to thin the tip area far behind the edge for better performance. For a more precise answer, please let us know what kind of knife is concerned and how much length has been lost. Pictures would be very helpful.

it's a yoshikane skd 240mm. :( i plan to take some material off the spine to remove the chip and not touching the edge.

Attachments

• 20240214_224211.jpg
    20240214_224211.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240214_224206.jpg
    20240214_224206.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 0
Looks like an easy job. I wouldn't worry about the distal taper — it's no vintage Sab with a paper thin tip. Still, after the work it will require some light sharpening to remove the burr at the end of edge. It could otherwise cause new chipping.

it's a yoshikane skd 240mm. :( i plan to take some material off the spine to remove the chip and not touching the edge.
Might not be the most qualified to speak on this subject, but also a beginner mistake i want to share that i did... be extra careful when going from the spine side instead of sharpening up from each side of the blade. I've tipped the edge again when I got close to being done cause how thin the edge is on a pink brick.

I've never had a re-tipping slowly moving the edge up.

I have this knife too, how did you break it (so i can avoid doing the same)
what products do you avoid with this knife,
and how fragile is this steel compared with other options.
thanks.

hi, i did the repair using diamond plate + 1k stone, it looks okay but i definitely lost some of the distal taper :<

how bad is it?

Attachments

• 20240215_005440.png
    20240215_005440.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240215_005427.png
    20240215_005427.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240215_000559.jpg
    20240215_000559.jpg
    801.5 KB · Views: 0
I wouldn’t sweat it. Looks fine and as long as it performs the way you want it to, you’re all good.
I mean, if you want to go full monty, I don’t blame you, I would do it - but I’m no sane person.

Looks good. A new Yoshikane looks slightly different .You can more closely match the as new profile by removing a bit more spine from tip up to the KU/hammered area. To avoid re tipping I would work only in heel towards tip direction. This should give a bit more distal taper as well
IMG_3795.jpeg
IMG_3796.jpeg

Looks fine on my end. How is the cutting performance?
feels okay on an onion!

Looks good. A new Yoshikane looks slightly different .You can more closely match the as new profile by removing a bit more spine from tip up to the KU/hammered area. To avoid re tipping I would work only in heel towards tip direction. This should give a bit more distal taper as well
View attachment 300744View attachment 300745
hi, thanks for the advice. do you think you could show on my blade where i should take off material?

I wouldn’t touch the edge other than sharpen/strop after you’re done just take a tiny bit more off the spine from tip towards the KU (the grey above the white)
What you’ve done is also fine

I wouldn’t touch the edge other than sharpen/strop after you’re done just take a tiny bit more off the spine from tip towards the KU (the grey above the white)
What you’ve done is also fine
so i started to do it but it was so much work for so little.... is this any better?

Attachments

• 20240215_234733.jpg
    20240215_234733.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 0
Back