Togashi’s white 2

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pie

you.. you got any more of them rocks?
KKF Supporting Member
Reaction score
This sh*t is absolute top tier. I’ve been splitting avocado pits and mistreating this guy daily for well over 3 months, and it refuses to dull.
image.jpg

Far outlasts maz white 2 and is much easier to sharpen. Hell even a couple of my Takeda’s need more touch ups. Nobody really talks about it, and it’s easily overlooked as a pretty vanilla steel but guys this stuff is seriously underrated.

I’m not even sure what other knives they make in white #2 at slightly lower hrc but if you’re looking at one, just buy it.

I do feel a little lucky to have/experience this thing as most of togashi’s work is way out of my price range or too “fancy” for my block. Just an awesome heavyweight beater with real purdy iron when shiny.

Last edited:
Good to know, I'm not normally a fan of white 2 although I primarily have used Tanaka. I have loved my togashi white 1 and blue 1.

Reactions: Pie
This sh*t is absolute top tier. I’ve been splitting avocado pits and mistreating this guy daily for well over 3 months, and it refuses to dull.
View attachment 309612
Far outlasts maz white 2 and is much easier to sharpen. Hell even a couple of my Takeda’s need more touch ups. Nobody really talks about it, and it’s easily overlooked as a pretty vanilla steel but guys this stuff is seriously underrated.

I’m not even sure what other knives they make in white #2 at slightly lower hrc but if you’re looking at one, just buy it.

I do feel a little lucky to have/experience this thing as most of togashi’s work is way out of my price range or too “fancy” for my block. Just an awesome heavyweight beater with real purdy iron when shiny.
Where was a review like this when I was searching for Togashi's white #2 two years ago 😅.

Would you say Togashi's white #2 is more "robust and beatable" compared something hard and keen like Mazaki's white #2? I've been really enjoying the latter's steel a lot.

Hahahhahahha, togashi white 2 is rather well done. i also got his blue2 which is stellar. been almost a year and have yet to strop/ sharpen from ootb edge

I have a white #2 cleaver from Kamata which should be Togashi forged. I haven't tried a lot of white #2 but compared to Ashi it feels maybe a touch harder. Still very easy to sharpen and holds an edge long enough for me as a home cook. Couldn't ask for much more really.

I have a white #2 cleaver from Kamata which should be Togashi forged. I haven't tried a lot of white #2 but compared to Ashi it feels maybe a touch harder. Still very easy to sharpen and holds an edge long enough for me as a home cook. Couldn't ask for much more really.
Ashi honyaki W#2 feels hard but easy to sharpen. Its really the only W#2 I've tried so can't compare with a sanmai W#2. I'm curious how it compares with the Ashi W#2 sanmai.

Ashi honyaki W#2 feels hard but easy to sharpen. Its really the only W#2 I've tried so can't compare with a sanmai W#2. I'm curious how it compares with the Ashi W#2 sanmai.

My Ashi is just a basic mono Ginga equivalent.

Regular gingas are all monosteel. I don't think I've ever seen anything sanmai from Ashi.

White 2 is still my favorite steel. It works great for me because it’s usually the cheapest option!
Sharpens so frickin fast too. Watched a coworker spend 2 hours on the tri-stone with the unknown tool steel in his flashy set of boutique knives. Like damn son. Just get a belt sander.

Togashi is the best because of proper, science based annealing and not an excessive amount of tempering. Just the sweet spot. It’s really the annealing though.

Sharpens so frickin fast too. Watched a coworker spend 2 hours on the tri-stone with the unknown tool steel in his flashy set of boutique knives. Like damn son. Just get a belt sander.
2 hours? That thing must have been dull as ****! Or very very very inexperienced?

Where was a review like this when I was searching for Togashi's white #2 two years ago 😅.

Would you say Togashi's white #2 is more "robust and beatable" compared something hard and keen like Mazaki's white #2? I've been really enjoying the latter's steel a lot.
I’d say that’s fairly accurate. The highs are a bit higher and the lows come faster with the mazaki. That’s not to say his isn’t amazing steel tho. It’s distinct in its own right.

View attachment 309612

Neat blade !
I been lookin hitohira ss clad togashi kiritsuke years. Look wise its perfect ,gotta cop it

Back