• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Kitchen Knife Forums and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

SOLD Vintage Sun Tiger Renge Suita

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Frosty

Reaction score
Howdy all, this is my first sale post on this forum, so please bear with me as I figure out the specifics (attaching images seems to be giving me some grief). Happy to answer any questions, provide more photos/video on request, etc.

Long story short, I do more in the way of outdoor and wood carving work than kitchen cutlery, and as amazing as this stone is, I've since come to own others which work better for my somewhat niche applications. Soft, creamy/chalky beautiful feedback, good speed and astoundingly aggressive edges. This would be amazing as a finisher for most kitchen knives, or even for utility knives which aren't intended for working wood.

I bought this brand new from ATT about two months ago, and I've only scrubbed a few blades on it in that time to get a feel for it. It's in essentially the exact same condition, but I'll include a bunch of fresh photos of it below, with and without water. Includes the single coolest box I've ever seen for a stone, which is currently my avatar (guess I'd have to change that if this sells), and the original sticker. Stone remains unsealed, and has only ever been given gentle spritzes of water from a spray bottle while in my possesion.

Original listing for this stone, with much more adeptly described info about it than I'm currently capable of: https://tennentoishi.com/products/copy-of-honyama-renge-suita

Asking $700 USD, shipping within North America and PP fees included. I ship from Canada via Canada Post Expedited with full insurance (that would equate to USPS Priority mail for our US members). I'm also happy to ship elsewhere in the world for actual shipping costs.

Stone will ship suspended in an ocean of bubble wrap the middle of the original ATT double walled cardboard box.

4FqE0oLh.jpg

U3ZFSfYh.jpg

iVkLqcoh.jpg

LkYtuvwh.jpg

Mr0hblbh.jpg

GhLP194h.jpg

1DLdi9Hh.jpg

GWz8CoEh.jpg

VIWMMCNh.jpg

qM8Pj9lh.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks Edward! I really wanted to try out a good example of a suita, and this one definitely fit the bill. The speed, feedback and edge aggression actually blew me away. I'm trying my hardest not to go full stone gremlin and just stash it away in a mini hoard of pretty rocks. But I could...

I just re-read the BST rules and apparently I missed that it said prices need to be listed in USD, so I've corrected that (originally listed in CAD).

GLWS.

Have something that performs a lot like how Edward describes it and looks somewhat similar (mine is a bit more oxidized so yellow renge).

Been curious what it is. Mine's box had hand-written Ohira Habutae but it's unlike a lot of Ohiras out there. So suspecting that it's a higher layer and/or some softer mine.

Curious if I may:
Is the base stone color white with a grayish tint, and does it have some grey flowing patterns? (I wasn't exactly sure looking at your photo)
does it leave a dark iron clad?
Is it scratch free?

Weixin Image_20240303092532.jpg

Weixin Image_20240303092427.jpg
Weixin Image_20240303092507.jpg
Weixin Image_20240303092514.jpg

Last edited:
GLWS.

Have something that performs a lot like how Edward describes it and looks somewhat similar (mine is a bit more oxidized so yellow renge).

Been curious what it is. Mine's box had hand-written Ohira Habutae but it's unlike a lot of Ohiras out there. So suspecting that it's a higher layer and/or some softer mine.

Curious if I may:
Is the base stone color white with a grayish tint, and does it have some grey flowing patterns? (I wasn't exactly sure looking at your photo)
does it leave a dark iron clad?
Is it scratch free?

Good looking stone!

The base color on this Sun Tiger looks white when dry, and becomes a light grayish color when wet. It doesn't have any gray flower/renge pattern that I can see, only pink/red. I took a couple of pics of it next to my Mizukihara Uchi renge (a very gray/red stone) for comparison.

It leaves the cladding dark, but not quite Uchi dark. It is not scratch free, but what scratches remain are shallow and the finish on both the cladding and core is reflective.

Florescent lighting.
joBpdo1h.jpg

With a 1600lm 2700k LED task light on overhead.

b7bSKkRh.jpg

Thanks both for sharing! Seem to perform the same way (and somewhat expected from a fast softy from this range). Base color & dense renge seem similar. I almost thought this was similar to the greyish pattern on mine but maybe I misinterpreted.
IMG_5062.jpeg

Yes, that is a distinct feature that I haven’t seen much. a lot of similarities so far white base stone, dense renge, grey flowing pattern (of varying density), very fast and softy. Regardless, mine is a great stone that I’m very happy with. And yours seems to perform very similarly, sounds like a great choice for people

I should bring mine to Kyoto and check around with the stone vendors and see what they think

So now that I have the stone and have played with it a bit, it's definitely an Uchigumori. It's unusual one at that. Its on the softer side, but is not a muddy stone by any means. relatively clean and homogenous, very easy kasumi finish.

Thanks @Frosty

So now that I have the stone and have played with it a bit, it's definitely an Uchigumori. It's unusual one at that. Its on the softer side, but is not a muddy stone by any means. relatively clean and homogenous, very easy kasumi finish.

Thanks @Frosty
What are some of the features that convince us that this is a Uchi?

Last edited:
Back