Wabi Sabi Revisted

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Koop

Reaction score
Back in 2021 I started a long winded thread regarding TF and wabi sabi. I went away fron KKF for a while and now that i returned I find the term bandied about here and on YouTube, but I think it's mostly misunderstood. Wabi sabi isn't an excuse for poor workmanship. As I understand it, it's a concept that embraces the fact that nothing is perfect and nothing is permanent. Handmade is acceptable. There are always compromises - if I strive for the best metallurgy that allows a thin, sharp grind, I may have to accept a bit of over grind or undesireable scratches. Or maybe I want a perfect polish and I accept a slight degrade in hardness or sharpenability.

Anyway, I think wabi sabi is overused and misunderstood. Maybe I don't get it - afterall, I grew up in the USA - not in the Japanese culture, although my mother was born and raised in Japan.

Back in 2021 I started a long winded thread regarding TF and wabi sabi. I went away fron KKF for a while and now that i returned I find the term bandied about here and on YouTube, but I think it's mostly misunderstood. Wabi sabi isn't an excuse for poor workmanship. As I understand it, it's a concept that embraces the fact that nothing is perfect and nothing is permanent. Handmade is acceptable. There are always compromises - if I strive for the best metallurgy that allows a thin, sharp grind, I may have to accept a bit of over grind or undesireable scratches. Or maybe I want a perfect polish and I accept a slight degrade in hardness or sharpenability.

Anyway, I think wabi sabi is overused and misunderstood. Maybe I don't get it - afterall, I grew up in the USA - not in the Japanese culture, although my mother was born and raised in Japan.
Boooooooo. Liaaaaaaaarrrrrrr

Yeah Japan is home to the idea of shokunin perfectionism, too. But uh, idk man. Even in Sakai, for example with sharpeners, there are some that are better than others, or different levels of finishing and precision, and distortion removal, etc, most often seen in the realm of single bevels which most specialize in. Wabi sabi is mostly the domain of sharpening and finishing it seems. A lot of the sharpest steels I've had, they had horrible grinds or finishing. Makes sense if I consider they hyperspecialize.

But uh wabi sabi, yeah small mistakes are okay. Small bends and stuff. A lot of honyaki have warps, because fixing it can destroy the whole thing or crack it. Or even with making great ura . . . Craftsmen usually prioritize the edge being straight. Or small kurouchi or nashiji marks, I see those sometimes on single bevels even after finishing. Or it can be preference or proof -- unpolished choils showing kurouchi and the forge process. Which is a thing I look for to evaluate knives. Idk man, the rural blacksmiths can have more wabi sabi, the natural presentation of things. Like how kurouchi and nashiji and tsuchime finishes are more wabi sabi than wheel or sanded finish. Or leaving small warps or bends in. Does the craftsman consider the user experience more, the idea of perfection, good-enough and a natural ish finish?

For example, takahashi kajiya in okuizumo, has wabi sabi to the most extreme extent I've seen, inconsistent grind, thin spine but thick shinogi, thick spine midway and near tip but thin spine near handle, way too short tang than the handles don't stay on well.

But the steel is really great and I enjoyed it more than Fujiwara Teruyasu's steel. One could argue that it's just wabi sabi, naturally how the knife turns out, and it will change over time, or is incomplete.

Or even the idea of knives not having honbadzuke when sold -- is it wabi sabi that the knives don't come sharp, and need to be sharpened? Should it be extended to straightening bends, or even warps, and regrinding? What about price point? Is it wabi sabi when the item is simply made insufficiently or wrong, as opposed to natural variation in the more appropriate process of making the item?

Or we can extend this too, even to edge chips and pitting? I would think, the pro wabi sabi thing to do, is that chips should only be removed with the normal sharpening process, since the knife will be used over time down to that anyway. But a lot of people don't want to see the chips, so the knife looks more "complete" but has a shorter life. There's a similar thing to be said, with trying to remove low spots, but making the knife shorter or too thin for what's appropriate.

I guess, wabi sabi to me is good-enough, compromising, and having variance and imperfections and artifacts of the manufacturing process -- in support of function, and in a way that either doesn't impede function, or possibly has an abstract symbolic meaning. Like the wabi sabi of the natural variation in hamon, or hamon shapes or features to evoke certain moods

I say this in my experience of getting a whole bunch of knives of different fit and finish, and trying to make them work as knives -- what does it mean to be a knife, of a particular shape or size, construction or design.

Like, is it more natural or simple, and in support of wabi sabi to have iron clad knives instead of stainless clad, since iron cladding is more easy or simple to do?

Kinda personal to me, I bought 9 tf knives, sold them all. I didn't agree that his interpretation of appropriate wabi sabi aligned with what I had in mind for form and function of what I wanted a knife to be, or could be. Tf works well for a bunch of people though, and the steel can be great. I also wanted to know and try more.

Last edited:

People are really just joking when talking about TF wabi sabi explaining away poor fit and finish.

Stray hammer marks, sure. Gaps and misaligned handle scales, not so much.

It’s more of a joke to some of TF’s shoddy craftsmanship, this video doesn’t help

TF confucius.jpg

And if you use the YT translate function there are more pearls.....

"... like casting pearls before swine, so I would give it to cats. There's a little trick called Koban, that is a word that makes you want to piss."

who knew felines were such an insightful bunch. I wonder if the urine is the key ingredient in the TF pickling solution. Could explain the superior long-lasting Ku finish.

Last edited:
My denka remains in a state of constant improvement. There may be a day when the bevels are devoid of low spots, but it will not be in the near future.

I love the knife each time it is ready for use, other times I curse how far it is from where I want it to be.

Never selling it tho.

If I remember correctly there was an American salesman who used wabi sabi to explain dramatic overgrinds hidden by sandblasting.

侘び寂び

https://ja.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/わび・さび

Japanese wikipedia on wabi sabi.

https://tooo4.com/wabisabi/

Another wabi sabi thing I found

As far as I've read (maybe mistakenly) wabi means a desolateness or poverty plainness or humbleness, as grim as that sounds. . . Sabi means rust and deterioration caused by nature, also means rust. Wabi sabi is most often used in tea ceremony and stone gardens though. Letting patina and pitting form would be consistent with wabi sabi... Kurouchi and nashiji is consistent with it. A ho wood handle vs an ebony one is. Buffalo over plastic, since plastic looks too smooth or perfect, while buffalo horn, although more expensive, is natural ...

As for fit and finish...idk really. I know the tea room was designed to be intimate and austere but that's a point too -- intentionally designed. If there were gaps in the walls and loose boards or splinters it wouldn't seem quite right . . . Stone and gravel gardens represent wabi sabi but they have an intentionalness to them too, with the surface finish and textures being that from natural effects, and more coarse or porous rather than smooth and shiny.

Warping is a natural process from the quench . . . But leaving those in makes the blade far less usable. Inconsistent grinding . . . There are natural things that are symmetrical and other asymmetrical or inconsistent so idk. Asymmetry in the knife I guess ugh.

Yeah patina is wabi sabi I agree.

Its kinda hard of a concept . . . Because it's applied to manmade things that deteriorate in nature or undergo natural processes -- although some of which people intentionally and perhaps "artificially" expose the objects to.

Like a tea room with a hole in the roof-- a fatal flaw? Or a matcha whisk that is just a small twig instead of the specialized one? I don't think that would be wabi sabi . . . It has to still function I guess. Enough imperfection but such that the function is still there.

So to the tf over grinds etc. . . I mean overtime when the knife loses height those over grinds can disappear . . . Hammer marks can get sharpened out. . . The handle is stainless clad carbon so it has resistance to complete failure . . . Idk lol.

There's a humbleness aspect or poverty that is not present with tf knives price wise or heat treat wise lol. Its elitist haha

Wabi is pretty depressing when I read about it... One site described it as depression or pain of not getting your way

From the second link:
Screenshot_20240315-175312.png

Last edited:
So, as a lover of function over form and a frequent purveyor of such, I reckon I've developed my own definition or assessment or concept of wabi sabi. Authentic or not, it's how I see the term and in my admittedly limited understanding, I think Japanese philosophies are somewhat malleable. So maybe there is enough flexibility in them to allow for our own specific interpretations provided the sentiment is there...

Sure it can be a little loose, but like @Koop, I feel strongly that hiding behind wabi sabi as an excuse for shoddiness is certainly not the intent of the term.

I think back to my grandfather altering tools to meet his needs. Or making tools or even building machines. They were never refined in their appearance but they were spectacular in their execution of purpose. Simple, direct, effective. No work wasted in their making, yet no functional compromises either. If attention to detail was required, it was given. And in this function forward obsession, there is beauty. It isn't the shine or exotic materials or artistry that pleases the eye but the ingenuity, forethought, and economy of effot. It is through the understanding of the execution that we find beauty.

Last edited:
Back