When were Chef's Knives invented?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don;t think any one revolution was responsible for a dramatic change in knife geometry, it's more probably a slowly evolving design as time passed on and new insights and cooking styles evolved.

It's one thing to cook a whole pig f.e. but as we see until today even a porchetta roast is cut into portions before serving and in case a wealthy family would reserve the whole for themselves I doubt they went at it as a whole.

somewhere between ripping whole joints apart and a Chef's knife things evolved, I bet they started cutting meat in the stone age (looking at the sharpness and variety of their flint tools)

The from the Luttrell Psalter, f. 207v 1325-1335. You can see from this illumination the design of the butcher knife has not changed much to this day.

Attachments

• 6d39046f703b615a5112d791d0008222 (1).jpg
    6d39046f703b615a5112d791d0008222 (1).jpg
    282.7 KB · Views: 0
… can anyone suggest what the shoe knife and putty knife were used for in the turn-of-the-century American kitchen?
They’d be naturals for steak&potatoes at the freshman cafeteria at college, back in the day.

Back