“Holey” Bevel? Flaws Near Edge

Discussion in 'The Kitchen Knife' started by SilverSwarfer, Oct 25, 2019.

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums by donating:

1. Oct 25, 2019 #1

SilverSwarfer

SilverSwarfer

SilverSwarfer

Somebody at worked asked me to repair his knife. I looked up the model to know what I’m working with before I began the repair. Website says it’s V10 steel.

There are quite a lot of pesky chips along the edge. I started with a 400 and I’ve yet to move forward because I noticed these holes at and near the edge, as I inspected my work. Seems there’s no chance to get away from more and more chips during use.

I can’t imagine how the sharpening action could cause this. I’m compelled to hypothesize this is caused by an unknown problem in the creation of this knife.

There is and was, no corrosion. The knife was not previously sharpened, the owner opened the box and went to work.

What is this but possibly a defect?

Should I not recommend making a claim for refund?

Please review photos carefully, hopefully the yellow marks I drew will be helpful.

Attached Files:

2. Oct 25, 2019 #2

M1k3

M1k3

M1k3

I'm not terribly sure. Is the knife from at least a somewhat reputable maker or one of those mystery eBay/AliExpress knives?

3. Oct 25, 2019 #3

RDalman

RDalman

RDalman

Yup recommend a claim. Something looks funky there. I'm thinking possibly scale/burn from heat treatment, or maybe burnt edge steel so the core have taken the blasting media finish in spots too. Or oxidation pitting from something else. All speculation ofc. Does it feel to have a reasonable HT? you could try flexing the edge a little if you're familiar with that.

4. Oct 25, 2019 #4

SilverSwarfer

SilverSwarfer

SilverSwarfer

@M1k3 - It’s a Korin branded knife from their “Hammered Damascus” line.

@RDalman - I’m really glad you chimed I’m on this. The HT seems fine. The big mystery to me is the same defect is not visible anywhere else on the finished surfaces. Only the core steel and only deeper than factory grind. I’m not 100% sure without magnification but I am able to spot just a couple other questionable spots that look like pitting (no chance to capture with my phone cam).

Thanks for input!

RDalman likes this.
  5. Oct 25, 2019 #5

M1k3

M1k3

M1k3

Oh, I'm with @RDalman on this and a claim.

6. Oct 25, 2019 #6

RDalman

RDalman

RDalman

It could probably be many things, but yea it looks like it shouldnt be there. It's rare, but it could also be some flaw in the actual steel from the melt. I have seen that too but only once and on american steel :p:eek:

7. Oct 25, 2019 #7

hambone.johnson

hambone.johnson

hambone.johnson

If the individual bought it straight from Korin i would think he should get good service from them on a claim/return. I would also like to think that given Korin's reputation they would like to know if there ARE in fact defects as such from their producers.

i wouldnt touch the stones with it until your friend has gone through the process and is stuck with the knife

8. Oct 25, 2019 #8

The Edge

The Edge

The Edge

Another possibility is carbide tear out. I see something similar occasionally, and using a less aggressive stone helps. Just an additional thought to play with.