“Holey” Bevel? Flaws Near Edge

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SilverSwarfer

Reaction score
Somebody at worked asked me to repair his knife. I looked up the model to know what I’m working with before I began the repair. Website says it’s V10 steel.

There are quite a lot of pesky chips along the edge. I started with a 400 and I’ve yet to move forward because I noticed these holes at and near the edge, as I inspected my work. Seems there’s no chance to get away from more and more chips during use.

I can’t imagine how the sharpening action could cause this. I’m compelled to hypothesize this is caused by an unknown problem in the creation of this knife.

There is and was, no corrosion. The knife was not previously sharpened, the owner opened the box and went to work.

What is this but possibly a defect?

Should I not recommend making a claim for refund?

Please review photos carefully, hopefully the yellow marks I drew will be helpful.

Attachments

• 9A77D704-A5E1-497E-8AF9-88D64C269592.jpeg
    9A77D704-A5E1-497E-8AF9-88D64C269592.jpeg
    101.6 KB · Views: 140
  • 44F893BF-720E-44BD-A331-4FFAD19A5A78.jpeg
    44F893BF-720E-44BD-A331-4FFAD19A5A78.jpeg
    88.5 KB · Views: 140
  • B3B9D33C-97C5-465F-9FC9-6CDD87B36FED.jpeg
    B3B9D33C-97C5-465F-9FC9-6CDD87B36FED.jpeg
    105.2 KB · Views: 140
I'm not terribly sure. Is the knife from at least a somewhat reputable maker or one of those mystery eBay/AliExpress knives?

Yup recommend a claim. Something looks funky there. I'm thinking possibly scale/burn from heat treatment, or maybe burnt edge steel so the core have taken the blasting media finish in spots too. Or oxidation pitting from something else. All speculation ofc. Does it feel to have a reasonable HT? you could try flexing the edge a little if you're familiar with that.

@M1k3 - It’s a Korin branded knife from their “Hammered Damascus” line.

@RDalman - I’m really glad you chimed I’m on this. The HT seems fine. The big mystery to me is the same defect is not visible anywhere else on the finished surfaces. Only the core steel and only deeper than factory grind. I’m not 100% sure without magnification but I am able to spot just a couple other questionable spots that look like pitting (no chance to capture with my phone cam).

Thanks for input!

@RDalman - I’m really glad you chimed I’m on this. The HT seems fine. The big mystery to me is the same defect is not visible anywhere else on the finished surfaces. Only the core steel and only deeper than factory grind. I’m not 100% sure without magnification but I am able to spot just a couple other questionable spots that look like pitting (no chance to capture with my phone cam).

Thanks for input!

It could probably be many things, but yea it looks like it shouldnt be there. It's rare, but it could also be some flaw in the actual steel from the melt. I have seen that too but only once and on american steel :p:eek:

Thanks for input!

If the individual bought it straight from Korin i would think he should get good service from them on a claim/return. I would also like to think that given Korin's reputation they would like to know if there ARE in fact defects as such from their producers.

i wouldnt touch the stones with it until your friend has gone through the process and is stuck with the knife

Another possibility is carbide tear out. I see something similar occasionally, and using a less aggressive stone helps. Just an additional thought to play with.

Back