“Iron” cladding

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A lot of shops use a type of mild steel that has a low enough carbon content that you can just call it iron, but it would still be called mild steel here in the US.

Pure iron is actually something near non-existant. Even wrought iron, and even more ancient western bloomery irons contained small amount of carbon, but the steel industry jumped from wrought iron to crude mild steel with no like "pure iron" in between.

It does exist in the form of electrolytic sponge iron but that usually comes in flakes or granules.

I use 1018 a lot which has roughly .018% Carbon in it, which isn't nearly enough to harden.

I do have in possession some of the lowest carbon "iron" ever known to be produced (.003% C) and have added it a chisel a made. Polishes nicely.

20211031_150222.jpg

I’ve bought and used some pure iron from the UK. I believe it’s pureiron.com as I recall

That stuff is really nice. I sent them an email a year ago and never heard back.

Bryan Raquin uses XC10 as his cladding which is a very pure with low carbon (.07-.13%)

I have considered ordering something similar here in the US, but I need to buy a whole 4'x8' sheet to get it as it's very specialized, low use stuff here. Soon :)

Last edited:
Back