“Kato” on the cheep...

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Newbflat

Reaction score
Say I had $300 and wanted a wanted a heavyweight-ish 240, thin behind the edge. Preferably stainless sides and the core can be whatever. I’m happy with white 1-2, blue 1-2 or super. Thoughts?

The part with stainless cladding will be a problem. Otherwise some Mazaki knives might fit the bill. For a bit more you might manage to get a hold of a used stainless clad Toyama, but they seem a bit lighter then the carbon clad ones.

Nao Yamamoto has an AS line in stainless and san-mai that I'm in love with. Needed some thinning ootb for my preference, but that's on me. It really hit a sweet spot.

Hmm.... that Gihei looks interesting. I have 2 240’s and both are kinda lasers, I have been using a medium weight 270 and liking the weight. Want to try a heavy 240 without it being a club.

Oh I’m fine with all carbon myself. This will also be used by another person who is ok at remembering not to just leave it on the counter after cutting onions or fruit. I just need a little buffer. A-Super would be nice for that. Almost everything I have is carbon, I’m just looking fo a little buffer... I’m also thinking of getting a 210 instead. If that Gihei was available in 210 I would grab it.

So I found the Gihei Blue #2 Nashiji two different places. One is the site that shall not be named and the other is carbon co... not sure if I can name that one as well!? Anyway, I’m looking at the 210 and they appear to be slightly different. The rolled kanji stamp is different and the handles are as well. I know the handle doesn’t mean anything but the stamp has me wondering. Any insight here?

I've got no idea about the Kato bit, but if yoare looking for a stainless clad workhorse with good food release:

My Wakui hammered is a heavyweight knife with good food release. Stainless clad white2, hammered pattern wide bevel, good fit & finish. Decent taper. Flat profile.

My Yoshikane SKD hammered is a very similar performer (but make sure you don't get one of the thinner ones). Be aware that the Amekiri (and possibly some of the other white2 Nashiji Yoshikanes) are much thinner. It's not a very tall knife, though.

My Kaeru is not quite as much a workhorse but Kaeru is also woth a look.

Oh I’m fine with all carbon myself. This will also be used by another person who is ok at remembering not to just leave it on the counter after cutting onions or fruit. I just need a little buffer. A-Super would be nice for that. Almost everything I have is carbon, I’m just looking fo a little buffer... I’m also thinking of getting a 210 instead. If that Gihei was available in 210 I would grab it.
Put your email in the notification box on the product page, they seem to restock pretty frequently. Not sure what is up with the 210 at Carbon Co. but it does come from the same shop as the one from CKTG. The profiles look the same but the one at CKTG looks to have a nicer grind, finish and handle.

Put your email in the notification box on the product page, they seem to restock pretty frequently. Not sure what is up with the 210 at Carbon Co. but it does come from the same shop as the one from CKTG. The profiles look the same but the one at CKTG looks to have a nicer grind, finish and handle.
This is exactly what I did and what I was thinking almost word for word. I was wondering if maybe in the shop where these are made they graded them A B and C quality and they offer them for sale accordingly.

The pics of grinds from certain websites are not necessarily what you’re going to get.

Last edited:
Say I had $300 and wanted a wanted a heavyweight-ish 240, thin behind the edge. Preferably stainless sides and the core can be whatever. I’m happy with white 1-2, blue 1-2 or super. Thoughts?

With $300? I'd suggest saving a little more and buying a Tsourkan workhorse, which are based on Kato specs, made of 52100. Performance is better than Kato IMO. They also come with nicer handles.

Or, buy a Yoshimi Kato for under $300.

Is the Gihei still worth it, in your opinion, at $260 for the 210mm and $280 for the 240mm?

They just just restocked at To Go, apparently he had them priced too low before.
I think they are, they just aren't as great a deal as they were. The Gihei B#2 has been compared to a Toyama in the past and considered to be close to the same level of performance at a much lower price.

I haven't used a Kato yet, but HVB is the sturdiest knife I've used short of a Sab but it's real thin behind the edge. Solid 52100 avoids some rust worries, but it's above your price point, just realized.
I'm happy with the HVB I have. Also really like my Mazaki, think that's a great rec too. A maboroshi would also be rad, but expensive. Maybe TF nashiji? Or what's the other brand he's using now for entry level prices?
Edit : stainless clad V2 HVB. Looks gangster, and V2 is an awesome steel between white and blue. Spendy but likely worth it.
https://homebutcher.com/products/hunter-valley-blades-by-mert-tansu-250mm-vtoku2-gyuto

Last edited:
Back