☕️ Coffee!

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Getting tired of espressos here in Italy (hoping no other italians reading now) and bought a french press and a Chemex recently, which I really like!

Getting tired of espressos here in Italy (hoping no other italians reading now) and bought a french press and a Chemex recently, which I really like!
Variety is important. I do Moka occasionally too. I also got a Nestle Dolce Gusto which should be well supported in the EU generally.

I was turned onto Nespresso single-serves in the Netherlands. Those single serves in the EU can turn out some awesome coffee IMHO. Don't forget that the Bialetti pour-overs are Italian born and bred!

In the morning, v60 with a light roast from Square Mile to start the day, and espressos/capuccinos using my Niche and Bianca for the rest of it. That's true at least when I work from home (3 days a week), at work I'd feel to wierd to make v60, so I suffer through those Nespresso capsules.

In the morning, v60 with a light roast from Square Mile to start the day, and espressos/capuccinos using my Niche and Bianca for the rest of it. That's true at least when I work from home (3 days a week), at work I'd feel to wierd to make v60, so I suffer through those Nespresso capsules.

once I started making coffee at home, I quit drinking the stuff at work.

even when work had decent setups.

once I started making coffee at home, I quit drinking the stuff at work.

even when work had decent setups.
I sometimes buy beans, preferably fit for turkish coffee (Colombia Supremo is a good example). All you need is to grind them very fine, or ask the roaster to do so, unlike espresso, the ground coffee prepared in this method will still taste great for a few weeks. Preparation involves pouring hot water on top of the ground coffee, mixing and waiting until the grounds sink before drinking.

I might get back to it, since now they want us to come to the office twice a week. Before that, from the first outbreak around here, I worked from home 4-5 days a week.

Last edited:
working from home rocks!

well, can only speak for my own industry, but WFH has been a real win for me and my coworkers. and yes, it means I dont have to deal with office coffee. I've seen more deadlines hit in the past 2 years than any time in my career in tech.

Black Rifle Coffee here.

ah ok since youre a fan can you help me understand their popularity?

they charge as much as specialty roasters but as best I can most stuff is some combination of a blend, roasted very dark (the medium I tried from them was definitely dark, not medium), and they often provide minimal details about the coffee itself e.g. specific regions, how theyre making sure theyre ethically souricng, processes, elevation, species, etc. which are standard if you go look at like, a JBC, Dagonfly, etc.

their overt politics is w.ever but they seem ultra popular, theyre probably the only band I can think of that's not a supermarket brand that's as popular as Onyx so I guess Im missing something.

I sometimes buy beans, preferably fit for turkish coffee (Colombia Supremo is a good example). All you need is to grind them very fine, or ask the roaster to do so, unlike espresso, the ground coffee prepared in this method will still taste great for a few weeks. Preparation involves pouring hot water on top of the ground coffee, mixing and waiting until the grounds sink before drinking.

I might get back to it, since now they want us to come to the office twice a week. Before that, from the first outbreak around here, I worked from home 4-5 days a week.
Won't beans just lose their flavor quicker when grinded finer?

they charge as much as specialty roasters but as best I can most stuff is some combination of a blend, roasted very dark (the medium I tried from them was definitely dark, not medium), and they often provide minimal details about the coffee itself e.g. specific regions, how theyre making sure theyre ethically souricng, processes, elevation, species, etc. which are standard if you go look at like, a JBC, Dagonfly, etc.

their overt politics is w.ever but they seem ultra popular, theyre probably the only band I can think of that's not a supermarket brand that's as popular as Onyx so I guess Im missing something.
They are always more of a life style coffee appeal to certain market segment, kind like celebrity endorsed coffee but more political.

Won't beans just lose their flavor quicker when grinded finer?
It's not a perfect solution, but most home electric grinders aren't fit to grind so fine, though good manual ones can (starting with jx), but then it's a real hassle, physically. So this is a compromise that still allows you to get a good cup, just not a perfect one, and IMO better than those capsules. I'm not an expert, but I think the reason pre-ground can't be used with espresso, unless you use a pressure basket, isn't because the coffee is stale, but because the brew parameters change completely, and you won't get the same pressure during brewing that you're supposed to get for the grind level you've chosen, which gets you a terrible cup.

Last edited:
coffee.png

Flexing a little - my new splurge. Can't ask for much more in the mornings.
A number of grinders can meet your requirements for ultra fine grinds. I am partial to fresh ground coffee, one of the more important aspects imo.
Roaster: Genecafe, Grinder: EG-1, Espresso Machine: Slayer

They are always more of a life style coffee appeal to certain market segment, kind like celebrity endorsed coffee but more political.

It is mostly about a FLAG WAVING lifestyle with a strong branding aimed at veterans for marketing.
They are also a lifestyle brand for the MAGA and firearms/2nd Amendment crowd.

The coffee itself seems rather ordinary.

I went to a wine dinner in Temple Texas with my wife and I could not make it home a while back. When I went to a Starbucks the next morning it turned out to be a Black Rifle coffee shop. I guess they bought out Starbucks. I had an Expresso coffee and it seemed OK, not as good as the Expresso at WholeFoods at the domain in Austin Texas. It seems to be my favorite. I may take a picture of their machine so you guys can identify it for me.

Always good to spot and identify cafe espresso machines.

When travelling or in unfamiliar settings, spotting a high end cafe machine is what I use to decide where to stop and try a coffee.
If a cafe spends a good chunk of change on top end hardware, they are more likely to value and pay for a trained barista.

You could get black gold out of a cheap lump of the counter, but more likely it will taste like dishwater

That may work but does not have to...a shop here in town has a very nice (and very high end) Kees van der Westen 3 group lever....but nobody with any idea how to work the damn thing....my dishwasher spits out a better brew.
Another shop in town also has a KvdW, and serves acidic mouthwash. Whereas some chain called Monkeysomething at the railway station has a horrible bean (those shiny black leftovers from a crematorium) but they somehow produce a decent cup using pretty average hardware.

IME it's tossing the dice....

Sounds like my Starbucks experience with Espresso. It had a very sour and astringent taste. So bad I never went back there for an Espresso. Their Cold Coffees are okay but, a bit overpriced IMHO. The Nitro Brew was at best pretty average.

These days when I am out and about, the canned coffees from mass market brand names provides a better experience. International Delights gets the nod if I want a heavy cream/milk kick. Mean Bean provides a consistent beverage for a hot day with the "300" triple caffein French Vanilla being the drink of choice generally but, a Mean Bean is good if they are out of stock of that one are I don't want something with a ton of sweetness.

for travelling I just pack my Robot and grind enough coffee to last for the trip, only thing I need to sort locally is hot water...

For those of you with Dolce Gusto quick serve brewers, what are some of the better pod options for me in the USA? I'm not opposed to buying overseas other than problems and costs with shipping.

Any experience with Community Coffee options out of Louisiana?

That may work but does not have to...a shop here in town has a very nice (and very high end) Kees van der Westen 3 group lever....but nobody with any idea how to work the damn thing....my dishwasher spits out a better brew.
Another shop in town also has a KvdW, and serves acidic mouthwash. Whereas some chain called Monkeysomething at the railway station has a horrible bean (those shiny black leftovers from a crematorium) but they somehow produce a decent cup using pretty average hardware.

IME it's tossing the dice....
You’re right it’s no guarantee. Usually top notch hardware places will also have a bunch of skinny customers dressed like clean lumberjacks discussing the floor price of digital monkey pictures.
Thats a secondary check.

Coffee is a thing which I cannot live without... I try not to drink it more than 2 times a day because I had a bad sleep in that case. To make it less strong I like put some creamer inside, it helps me to enjoy my drink.

View attachment 181759

Flexing a little - my new splurge. Can't ask for much more in the mornings.
A number of grinders can meet your requirements for ultra fine grinds. I am partial to fresh ground coffee, one of the more important aspects imo.
Roaster: Genecafe, Grinder: EG-1, Espresso Machine: Slayer
God that Slayer is soooo nice, i been thinking about replacing my synchronika but i don't know what I want at this point. My heart would want a Slayer or GS3 but my wallet sure doesn't. Congrats on the splurge.

Two of the better local independent coffee roasters in the Minneapolis-St Paul area, Up and Spyhouse, have recently been acquired by the Kansas City based FairWave Coffee Collective (aka FairWave Holdings LLC). Supposedly both businesses will continue to operate independently. FairWave does appear to be solely specialty coffee focused which is a positive sign but I've seen so many cases of private equity buying companies, pillaging them, ruining the product, and driving the company into the ground that any optimism on my end is very, very cautious.
Apparently more acquisitions within the Midwest are planned.

Two of the better local independent coffee roasters in the Minneapolis-St Paul area, Up and Spyhouse, have recently been acquired by the Kansas City based FairWave Coffee Collective (aka FairWave Holdings LLC). Supposedly both businesses will continue to operate independently. FairWave does appear to be solely specialty coffee focused which is a positive sign but I've seen so many cases of private equity buying companies, pillaging them, ruining the product, and driving the company into the ground that any optimism on my end is very, very cautious.
Apparently more acquisitions within the Midwest are planned.

Oh really? I like Spyhouse and I'm leaving in a few minutes to pick up some beans at Up. Hopefully nothing changes too meaningfully. Oh, and then there's another new arrival from from the same region: ShortWave Coffee, from Columbia, MO, which has a shop under construction at 50th & Bryant.

Side note, I hoping to try out and pick up some beans from Paradise, but I don't see that pick-up is an option, and I'd rather not pay $4 shipping when they're 15 minutes away. :confused:

For you guys that roast your own, what is a good option for a smaller roaster. Was thinking might try it have outlet by my small work table in open air garage. How do you control if you want a light to medium roast.
Also how often do you roast. Except when we have family or friends it's only two of us I drink two cups a day, she drinks such small amount twice.

Pour over coffee maker blooms grinds first we get pretty good coffee that way all Hawaiian but not always fresh takes us a while to finish a bag up to a month.

Also how do you store extra beans for say a week.

I don't roast, but IKAWA seem to be the (current) darling in that segment - 100g capacity, app-controlled smart roaster, and I think that it controls smells enough that you can run it in your home. It's about $1200, IIRC.

I still work with my basic bread oven/heatgun combo, but I’ve been lusting after the Cormorant roaster:
https://cormorantroasters.business.siteSeems well made, a copy of the big industrial roasters just smaller.
Otherwise Hottop, Gene café and Aillio bullet all seem solid choices (in different budgets/different capacities. Have a look at Sweet Maria’s website, a wealth of information there.
I roast once a week usually, and keep the beans in a glass jar, never longer than two weeks.

For you guys that roast your own, what is a good option for a smaller roaster. Was thinking might try it have outlet by my small work table in open air garage. How do you control if you want a light to medium roast.
Also how often do you roast. Except when we have family or friends it's only two of us I drink two cups a day, she drinks such small amount twice.

Pour over coffee maker blooms grinds first we get pretty good coffee that way all Hawaiian but not always fresh takes us a while to finish a bag up to a month.

Also how do you store extra beans for say a week.

I have heard good things about the Behmor, including from a neighbor in my previous neighborhood, who loved his. I think it is one of the few appliance roasters that has a 1 lb capacity. There is also a lot of online advice about it, including from the great Sweet Maria company. I had a Hot Top before my current roaster (and after a manual whirlypop). It was great, but I do admit I had to replace the motor, which was quite a chore. And it only does 1/2 lb at a time.

I roast every two weeks, like clockwork. I have a 1 lb roaster, and roast in 400 g batches (conventional wisdom says to max out at 15% below your roaster capacity). 4 batches covers my coffee needs for two weeks, and my wife's. Coffee roasted more than two weeks ago is not a beverage I want to drink (extend that to 3 weeks for my beloved Yemen beans, which are tough and resilient).

I have found no storage for roasted beans that helps at all with that two week deadline, and I think I've tried all the possibilities.

Latest posts

Back