D. Martell #1 is Done - FINALLY!!

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How do you suggest folks sharpen? Is it possible to reproduce the three bevels, or do you suspect most folks will cut right through that and leave a typical bevel(s)? Or would you suggest convexing?

There's only one edge bevel. The three bevels are up the side of the knife and will not come into play with sharpening.

I have no business commenting but I can't say I like the micarta either and aesthetically, odd numbers are generally preferred for most things. If you want to put a noticeable pin in the bolster like that maybe it would work if you lost on of the other pins in the handle.

Looking good, Dave.

I wouldn't put any marking on the blade besides' maker's mark. Most people who will buy your knives will know what steel you used and most probably won't care if it cryo treated or not, as long as the performance lives up to the expectation.

I would also use micarta pins in the bolster, so they are as least visible as possible. Otherwise, the handle looks too busy taking away from the wood figure. Damn, I just saw that David posted the same thing, almost word for word. Funny.

M

There's only one edge bevel. The three bevels are up the side of the knife and will not come into play with sharpening.

Now that I think about it, we covered this in your class (if I could find a good emoticon for shame, I'd insert it here). I misunderstood your post. My bad!

That is sweet knife and congrats on finishing # 1...I am not sure how much my opinin is worth especially considering I am a huge fan of most of the work I see on this forum but I like the look without the bolster pin.

Well I think it's pretty clear that most don't care for the silver bolster pin and that's OK by me since it wasn't in the cards anyway. I had already ordered a boatload of black micarta pinstock so that's the direction I'll be going. It's real great to hear everyone's opinion on this though.

Oh BTW, I'm 100% certain that I'll use different materials for bolsters in the future but the time being micarta is going to be the stuff I'm running with.

I wouldn't put any marking on the blade besides' maker's mark. Most people who will buy your knives will know what steel you used and most probably won't care if it cryo treated or not, as long as the performance lives up to the expectation.

i agree, less is more.

Oh BTW, I'm 100% certain that I'll use different materials for bolsters in the future but the time being micarta is going to be the stuff I'm running with.

I think you are just playing with us, and in the future you will offer some re-bolstering coupons once you show off some super sexy mokume bolster ;)

k.

I think your logo with that font and being underlined looks good. It would look even better if it was laser etched and that's it, no coloring of the lettering.

Yeah. I like the logo in that font. I would, however, get rid of the "cryo treated" and "O1" on the back. That's just me though.

What if I switch to white#1 and don't use cryo....how will you know which is which in 10 years time? :D

Dave,

It made me smile.

Leave out the bolster pin and cryo.

Unless it's pre-sold or you intend to keep it how about auctioning it off?

Michael, I grew up thinking that my middle name was smartass since my Dad called me that so much, he always said that I've got an answer for everything. :D

Dave,

It made me smile.

Leave out the bolster pin and cryo.

Unless it's pre-sold or you intend to keep it how about auctioning it off?

This one was already sold but I offered the customer out of it yet he chose to stay with it - such loyal customers I have! :thumbsup:

I hope I didnt offend you Dave.

I have no clue why you underline the logo, its so.....eh....1990.
Underlining is almost not used anymore. If you want to draw attention we in 2010 use bold to show the importance. But if you feel like underlining is the way to go you should do that. But as I think the font already draws attention, I have no idea why you underline things. Things can get to much, yet simple style is still the best. See Bill Burke and Devin :)

simple is best i think also but i don't know if i would pick devin or bill's mark as a good example of that.....ryan

Hey Dave sure looks good to me. I happen to like the pin. Can't wait to see more.

steve:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

I like your maker's mark, but agree that the steel type and treatment are distracting.

For identification purposes, though, continue to serialize your knives. It would be nice when knife #116 is sold as part of an estate sale in 2037, the new owner can trace the knife back to when it was made in early 2012, and see it was made from triple-quenched 52100 steel.

I like the bolster, especially with the dark liner and the dark areas in the wood. Underlined logo is cool too. Steel type on the blade and 4th. pin, not so much.

I like the steel type, It's nice to know it's cryo too.

Well done Dave! I like the logo and the underlining, reminds me of 1950's logos and advertising.

I totally agree with this. Don't change it. This is all the info you need on the blade.

However, I really don't like the micarta bolsters at all. If it absolutely has to be, then maybe two small pins, top & bottom, like Pierre or Phil Wilson does. Maybe if it was faux ivory...?

You really can't beat the look of mokume. I'd be willing to cover the cost of 'mistakes' on mine to keep that option.

Looks great otherwise. :my2cents:

I think this looks awesome and I basically agree with everyone. Numbering all the knives is a great idea. Is your name silk screened or engraved? I think proper engraved logos are sort of a sign of quality when I buy knives

The logo is etched using chemical + electric current. It basically burns the mark in like a branding iron would on a cow's backside. The look and feel is that of stamping.

All points being noted fellas - thanks for the feedback! :)

Latest posts

Back