• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Kitchen Knife Forums and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Withdrawn * $100 DISCOUNT FROM RETAIL * Project Manaka "Thicker" Blue #1 240mm Gyuto

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bearhippo

Reaction score
"Thicker" Manaka 240mm Blue #1 Gyuto:

IIRC this variant is only carried by Miura and it is what "thicker" suggests; an absolute beefcake of a gyuto.

In this case, I found it to be a little too beefy (dislike of the synthetic kasumi aside) and sought to do some work on it but it's been on pause for a few months now.

A lot of work has already been put in and IMO (although I am not an expert) it should be ready for higher grit stones after a bit of sandpaper to level out the low spots that resulted from my novice hands.

Purchased for $471.20 (post 10% discount) from Miura, asking $370 shipped CONUS via PayPal G&S.

Migoto Shinogi Blue #1 240mm Gyuto:

This was a perfect cutter (IMO one of the best I've tried) out of the box with Lee's crazy sharp edge (and Yoshikazu Tanaka's heat treat) but ditto on the above in terms of wanting to test a few JNATs I picked up.

Ditto on the above with sandpaper as there were a few areas that were proving difficult to iron out on stones alone.

Purchased for $476 (with $45 international shipping into account), also asking $400 shipped CONUS via PayPal G&S.

Note: Will update post with Manaka spine and choil photos if not sold in a bit due to focusing issues (see below) with my S22 Ultra.

Attachments

• 20221229_094357.jpg
    20221229_094357.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 0
  • 20221229_094453.jpg
    20221229_094453.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 0
  • 20221229_094624.jpg
    20221229_094624.jpg
    4.8 MB · Views: 0
  • 20221229_094643.jpg
    20221229_094643.jpg
    4.2 MB · Views: 0
  • 20221229_094847.jpg
    20221229_094847.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 0
  • 20221229_095004.jpg
    20221229_095004.jpg
    1,018.6 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
What is "thicker" about this Manaka, the spine? Can you share the measurements?

What is "thicker" about this Manaka, the spine? Can you share the measurements?
Thanks for reminding me to clarify. Here's a link to the product listing on Miura's website. My interpretation of the "thicker" line is that they're supposed to be heavyweight workhorses since they have a taller heel height, are heavier, and have a thicker spine as well (very similar IMO to the Hatsukokoro Yoake line that has caught traction as of late).

For the measurements, I'm not able to fetch up to date ones as I don't have a caliper or a scale ATM but I did ask for the stock (three) that they had at the time. This gyuto in particular was measured at the following.

245mm blade length
312 grams
6.27mm (thickness of the spine out of the handle)
57mm heel height

PM’d!

EDIT: Knife received as pictured. Great feeling cutter despite needing to be sharpened. Quick shipping and good packaging (using Migoto’s original boxes).

Last edited:
For reference, I have a Manaka, not from Miura and the specs are quite a bit different.
250mm total blade length
234mm edge length
187 grams
3.92mm (thickness of the spine out of the handle)
3.16mm above spine
49.5mm heel height
you got that one a while ago yeah? I know the older ones used to be shorter at the heel.

I own a manaka in blue 2/Iron clad, and it's 245mm and 57mm at the heel. I got it from Carbonknifeco.

you got that one a while ago yeah? I know the older ones used to be shorter at the heel.

I own a manaka in blue 2/Iron clad, and it's 245mm and 57mm at the heel. I got it from Carbonknifeco.
I picked mine up from ck2g classifieds back in September 2021. I'm not sure how long the previous owner had it, but he sourced direct thru Manaka-san

"Thicker" Manaka 240mm Blue #1 Gyuto:

IIRC this variant is only carried by Miura and it is what "thicker" suggests; an absolute beefcake of a gyuto.

In this case, I found it to be a little too beefy (dislike of the synthetic kasumi aside) and sought to do some work on it but it's been on pause for a few months now.

A lot of work has already been put in and IMO (although I am not an expert) it should be ready for higher grit stones after a bit of sandpaper to level out the low spots that resulted from my novice hands.

Purchased for $471.20 (post 10% discount) from Miura, asking $400 shipped CONUS via PayPal G&S.

Migoto Shinogi Blue #1 240mm Gyuto:

This was a perfect cutter (IMO one of the best I've tried) out of the box with Lee's crazy sharp edge (and Yoshikazu Tanaka's heat treat) but ditto on the above in terms of wanting to test a few JNATs I picked up.

Ditto on the above with sandpaper as there were a few areas that were proving difficult to iron out on stones alone.

Purchased for $476 (with $45 international shipping into account), also asking $400 shipped CONUS via PayPal G&S.

Note: Will update post with Manaka spine and choil photos if not sold in a bit due to focusing issues (see below) with my S22 Ultra.
Wow that migoto looks good

Do you mean to say that new low spots were introduced as a result of sandpaper?

Do you mean to say that new low spots were introduced as a result of sandpaper?
No, that block was in reference to the low spots that I somehow created (and mostly addressed) on my coarse JNAT when I was thinning it originally.

What does the choil and spine look like of the Manaka?
Full disclaimer as per the above that I'm no expert as of yet in this whole thinning/polishing realm but I'd definitely love some feedback if anyone more experienced has something to say. I suppose if this isn't sold in a few months then I'll send it out for someone else to refinish as it's a lot of work.

Attachments

• 20230112_134605.jpg
    20230112_134605.jpg
    311.2 KB · Views: 0
  • 20230113_113836.jpg
    20230113_113836.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
Full disclaimer as per the above that I'm no expert as of yet in this whole thinning/polishing realm but I'd definitely love some feedback if anyone more experienced has something to say. I suppose if this isn't sold in a few months then I'll send it out for someone else to refinish as it's a lot of work.
The geometry looks pretty good! Good job! I'm curious to see how it'll look when it's finished.

The Migoto was received as pictured. Cutting feel is outstanding despite the knife needing to be sharpened. Micro Mesh and natural stone powder have been ordered.

I know there was some controversy with @bearhippo, but from my experience, he’s a great seller. Quick shipping/tracking and exemplary packaging (using Migoto’s original boxes/padding).

Bump, happy to offer discounts if bundled with any other knife (or knives) that I have up on BST.

Bump, final price drop of $30 to now be over $100 off from retail barring shipping. No further discounts as it'd make more sense for me to keep it at that point.

Back