100% handmade JP Kitchen knives

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AGC8

Reaction score
I just happened to come across some YouTube videos of Japanese kitchen knife making where they smith actually hammered out the iron as they do their swords. I had a feeling this was still done...even though the market is mostly saturated with "machine involved" knives. Steel bought mostly from Hitachi and "Taifu"?

Can some one give me some names of JP kitchen knife smiths? How much do their knives run? Are they all $1000+? :)

TFTFTFTFTFTF
The steel for the Maboroshi and Denka knives from Teruyasu Fujiwara are forged in house from core steel bought from Hitachi, which TF clads with stainless steel to make their knives.
The Nashiji line is made using pre-laminated steel.
https://www.teruyasu.net

If you're talking about making the actual steel, you should search for tamagahane steel.
Yoshimitsu is one maker, but I don't think they are still making tamagahane.
https://www.aframestokyo.com/yoshimitsu-wa-gyuto-210mm-tamahagane--watetsu-blade-chef-kn211.html

Last edited:
I just happened to come across some YouTube videos of Japanese kitchen knife making where they smith actually hammered out the iron as they do their swords. I had a feeling this was still done...even though the market is mostly saturated with "machine involved" knives. Steel bought mostly from Hitachi and "Taifu"?

Can some one give me some names of JP kitchen knife smiths? How much do their knives run? Are they all $1000+? :)

It would help if you posted a link to the video, since I’m not sure exactly what you mean. I’m no expert, so probably others can help more. That said:

Do you mean the smith was making steel out of iron? I don’t really know, but I’m not aware of anyone doing that. Even tamagahane is made by a specialized group and then sold, no?

If not, do you mean the smith was using a handheld hammer instead of a power hammer for the entirety of the work? That seems ridiculous too. Not sure why anyone would do that.

If not, do you mean you saw a video where someone was using a hammer in the forging process? Most smiths discussed on this forum do that, and you can get such knives for <$200.

Re: TF. Is the distinction that you’re making, @parbaked, that TF does his own forge welding of the cladding to the core? (Both of these steels being bought from somewhere.) I mean, the core is White #1 from Hitachi, no? Not sure this is what the OP is asking, but then again, I’m not sure what the OP is asking.

Are you referring to Tamahagane? Which was traditionally made in a tatara? I know of two makers thats uses/used it: Yoshimitsu and Nigara

Most knives today come in four main catagories:

Stock Removal monosteel

Pre-clad awase

Hand forged awase

Honyaki

Unfortunately, if you are thinking of some master holding a red hot piece of metal while two of his apprentices continuously strike it with a huge hammer sending sparks everwhere .... I really can't think of anyone really ... and if they did the prices would be more like what you see with Nihonto (japanese sword)

If you think about it further, why wouldn't a blacksmith use steel from a manufacturer like Hitachi or Takefu as they have all the facilities and equipment to make the steel to their exact standards. A spring hammer will apply the same force consistently, dosent get tired, and only require one person to operate.

Are you referring to Tamahagane? Which was traditionally made in a tatara? I know of two makers thats uses/used it: Yoshimitsu and Nigara

Most knives today come in four main catagories:

Stock Removal monosteel

Pre-clad awase

Hand forged awase

Honyaki

Unfortunately, if you are thinking of some master holding a red hot piece of metal while two of his apprentices continuously strike it with a huge hammer sending sparks everwhere .... I really can't think of anyone really ... and if they did the prices would be more like what you see with Nihonto (japanese sword)

If you think about it further, why wouldn't a blacksmith use steel from a manufacturer like Hitachi or Takefu as they have all the facilities and equipment to make the steel to their exact standards. A spring hammer will apply the same force consistently, dosent get tired, and only require one person to operate.

Didn't know ii was being unclear. Yes. I was referring to Smiths hammering tamahegane as they do making swords.

Thanks for the links. $640 USD for a 8" gyuto want as much as I thought. But as someone mentioned.. They are probably using a hammering machine. No longer with an apprentice hand hammering.

About tamagahane, though: no knife smiths actually make it, they buy it, no? So I don’t get how this indicates a difference in what the smith is doing, rather than just what they’re buying...

About tamagahane, though: no knife smiths actually make it, they buy it, no? So I don’t get how this indicates a difference in what the smith is doing, rather than just what they’re buying...

The Yoshimitsu brothers make knives from tamagahane steel that they also make.

Most swordsmiths I know purchase tamahagane.
The Yoshimitsu brothers make knives from tamagahane steel that they also make.

That tatara is really small scale though, perhaps it will only yield about 5-10kg of tamahagane. Quality will depend on the sand they get though. And probably the usable quantity from that is only 2kg or so.

As far as I know, the best swordsmiths get first dibs on tamahagane, then it goes down the pecking order. Guys who make razors, knives and woodworking tools are pretty far down the line.

How about Yasha Yukawa?
I believe he forges knife blanks/sword blanks.

I can't speak to Japanese practices specifically, but most of the bladesmiths (forging knifemakers) i know use a power hammer to get close to dimensions and then dial it in with hand hammers. This is similar to stock removal: belt grinder to files to sandpaper (which you frequently do for forged blades too). I don't see any advantage to hand-only forging except for romance and art - Totally valid, but understand the whys.

I have hand-forged a handful of blades (don't own a power hammer) and will do more, and let me tell you, it's not cost-effective for anyone! Especially if you are reclaiming steel from an inconvenient shape. But it's a good time if you're not trying to make a living at it.

I forge by hand because it's all I have atm
Forging down 1" round for integrals isnt easy but I absolutely love it
That Japanese Smith might have one of those heritage craft certs or whatever they call them in Japan,where they only use traditional materials and tools,or he could be a mad ba£+@&d like me :)

Back