100 knives to try before you die

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Carl Kotte

Reaction score
Hey all,

I wonder whether you would like to contribute here to a list of - as the heading suggests - 100 knives you should (as a knife enthusiast/nerd) try before you die. You will likely recognize the familar format: it is a version of ’100 books’, or ’100 films’ you must... before you die.
I have no particular set of rules in mind for getting on the 100’s list apart from these two: it 1) kitchen knives, and only kitchen knives, are eligible for the list, 2) only remarkable knives can be put up here.
That said, I do not want to prejudge anything; some of the most exclusive knives from the best blacksmiths are bound to be on the list, I guess. So might also particularly good or plainly weird low-key stuff too. (Compare with food: truffle and caviar come to mind on a list like this, but there is some food that is weird(er) such that your life would be less rich for not tasting it).
For example, it might be that a kind of heavily specialized knife (think of a Chosaki or a cheese cutter maybe) ought to be on the list though it is in many respects a simple tool that seldom costs more than a few $.

Would be happy if you would like to contribute! It could be a good read!

Sounds a fun idea to me.
Allow me to nominate the Yoshiaki Fujiawara (Kato) Workhorse gyuto from JNS. :D

This is a great start! (I do fear that a list of this kind could easily start to influence my ’dream shopping’ list; then I will die of starvation before I get to top 16).

Dalman gyuto
Raquin gyuto
... I'll just name these two. Had a list of 20 custom gyutos, but maybe it shouldn't be 100 gyutos :D

Dalman gyuto
Raquin gyuto
... I'll just name these two. Had a list of 20 custom gyutos, but maybe it shouldn't be 100 gyutos :D

No rules imposed yet... maybe the natural thing to do in the end is to make the list into a ’the world’s 100 deadliest gyutos’-list

Oh!!! I was sticking to one!

Avoiding listing more Kato’s:

-Older wide bevel Konosuke Fujiyama
-Older Masamoto KS
-Toyama iron clad
-Yoshikane black dammy sld

Oh!!! I was sticking to one!

Avoiding listing more Kato’s:

-Older wide bevel Konosuke Fujiyama
-Older Masamoto KS
-Toyama iron clad
-Yoshikane black dammy sld

Your modesty was admirable. Lack of rules for conducting this list might have lead astray. (So feel free to suggest rules to impose, I guess).

KS with stamped Kanji, not etched.

Very few people have ever used "proper" one,
so take everything you hear with a grain of salt.

If you read the archives you will see lots of people
comlaining about "bad KS grinds", all those complaints
had stamped Kanji ... FWIW

Unless it's a knife youve seen in person
or has been vouched for by somebody not looking
to flip for a profit...

This is kind of like debating which of the Shig
father or sons sharpened your shig...etc

Modern are arguably a bit thinner TBE,
but typically weigh and measure the same
with proper profiles indistinguishable from
earlier versions....

Just some things to think about...

Well ,some on my list already mentioned but adding some

1-Watanabe Nakiri (gyuto too but already mentioned)
2-Watanabe KU gyuto (sufficiently different from kasumi to try both)
3-Kato STD 240 gyuto
4-Kato suji
5-Shigefusa (mentioned already but although not for everyone a must try)
6-Gesshin Ittetsu honyaki gyuto
7-Yoshikane black damascus gyuto
8-Togashi/Tosa honyaki blue steel gyuto (that steel is worth a try for sure)
9-Munetoshi butcher
10-Tanaka gyuto (what a cheap great performer!)

Custom/Western makers
11-Halcyonforge gyuto
12-Bryan Raquin (I'll be shameless and throw the mini cleaver/big nakiri in this list as it's my favourite knife from him, gyuto was mentioned)
13-Comet honyaki

To add one to the OP: Sakai Takayuki Ginsanko

yes! my takayuki ginsan damascus is a very underrated performer. it performs well above its price and is comparable or exceeds the performance of fujiyama and toyama in some respects. plus the damascus is some of the nicest ive seen.
599E1CE5-B827-47B2-93DB-964EFB369ECA_zpsiohdp5al.jpg

Catcheside Gyuto
Prendergast - his knives feel somehow different to anything else I've tried, I think everyone should give him a go.

I don't know if i would call them virtues, but takeda knives, at least the few ive handled are different from most others ive tried.
The grind is very unique, it allows for food release that is unrivaled in my short experience with jknives. The steel is very tough, ive seen my sasanoha go against pork ribs, chicken bones (not through them of course) and come back unscathed.
There are other aspects, profile, weight, and such, but those two alone are worth the experience.

As this is a "try before you die" and not "buy before you die" why not just preempt the rest of this list and say "everything" because if there's no commitment involved, well **** I'll try them all.

If we have 100 slots to work with, that covers most of the makers ever discussed positively on this site, no? (As long as we don’t subdivide into knife types...)

Of course, that’s not to say the discussion isn’t worthwhile.

Chelsea Miller grate (er...) yuto. Try to argue that I’m wrong... think about it long enough and you’ll realize I’m right.

Terrific idea.
For me, this might be less about specific knives and more about certain features:
- Dalman or some other s-grind - because s-grind
- Zkramer or other super tall knife - because some people can never go back to 50mm
- Hazenberg or Xerxes? - something with extreme taper, just whisper thin tips
- Takeda - not sure what even compares to that grind and size
- Some nice authoritative thing, Matsubara or Doi etc - because power is addictive
- A Chinese Vegi Cleaver - because super-oversize is sometimes fun
- Something in HRC 64+, Fujiwara or Yoshikdane etc - because you should know what real edge retention is
- Shibata Kotetsu or Ginga or some other super laser - because super-laser
- Masamoto KS - because, while overhyped, it's still a great knife and relevant in history and a good common ground to start a discussion
- A nice custom handle - because comfort is greatly underrated
... I struggle to complete the list, but know it's not the end ... if it can truly be completed.

So are the knives not supposed to be repeated or are ones mentioned more higher ranked.

Back