100 knives to try before you die

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Heiji carbon or semistainless: such a crispy edge and cutting feel, great food release, really even blade faces and little overgrind
Fujiwara Teruyasu: super hard steel, easy to sharpen, a bit brittle, really sharp but feedback can be a bit sterile sometimes
Ashi Hamono Ginga: any laser will do, really, though. Great fit and finish full-package mid-cost J-knife.

Haven’t seen these listed yet:

Rader

Martell

Don Nguyen

Mizuno honyaki

Misono Dragon

I'm on Rader's list and Bloodroot's list at the moment. I'm a NW native and excited for Rader. Excited for Bloodroot too, but it's 4 years out.

I thought my Don Nguyen was a little wedgy, but that may just be me. The overall package is stunning.

Edit: Don Nguyen paring knife, bought very early in his career, and before I knew up from down in the knife world.

Last edited:
Another cheap option from Ikea:

https://www.ikea.com/au/en/catalog/products/30257579/
Briljera.jpg
I get to use this knife once a week at a regular cook-up/dinner with a friend of mine who also is a passionate cook. The knife has a bit more belly than I like, but it is nice to use regardless, and made with VG-10 steel. At USD 40.00 or so, it's really good value for money.

Another cheap option from Ikea:

https://www.ikea.com/au/en/catalog/products/30257579/
View attachment 55858
I get to use this knife once a week at a regular cook-up/dinner with a friend of mine who also is a passionate cook. The knife has a bit more belly than I like, but it is nice to use regardless, and made with VG-10 steel. At USD 40.00 or so, it's really good value for money.

And - most importantly - it is Swedish! (I know I know, it is not made in Sweden, but still!). Sweden brings you Dalman and IKEA straight on top of the list!
Thx Michi

Any Burke; everyone should use a Burke at least once- magic!

I would also add:

Rader, Maumasi (nice S grind), Lisch (both David and Andrea)

Tsukasa Hinoura, Shigefusa, Ikeda mizu honyaki, and Kumagoro honyaki

And since this is a before-one-dies list and not particularly focused on affordability, then a true hand-made Kramer.

Fingal Ferguson
Blenheim Forge
Blok Knives
Dan Prendergast
Oldskool Sabatier chef knives
Munetoshi butcher

And some usual suspects already mentioned!

So, here is the spectacular list you have been waiting for. Or not really. For a list promising to contain 100 remarkable (or notable) knives, it is surprisingly short at the moment. Let us consider it a work in project. Please add, correct, improve, etc. etc.

A hundred dies to knife before you fry – in something like an alphabetical order.

1. Blenheim Forge

2. Blok Knives

3. Bloodroot

4. Jim Burke

5. Murray Carter Funayuki

6. Catcheside Gyuto

7. CCK a) Carbon Kau Kong Chopper, b) 1303

8. Comet Honyaki

9. Robin Dalman Gyuto S-Grind

10. Doi

11. Fingal Ferguson

12. Teruyasu Fujiwara Denka

13. Gengetsu Gyuto

14. Gesshin Ittetsy Honyaki Gyuto

15. Grimm Knife Company

16. Gude Bread Sword

17. HHH

18. Halcyonforge Gyuto

19. Ashi Hamono Ginga

20. Harner

21. Hazenberg

22. Heiji Semi-stainless

23. Tsukasa Hinoura

24. Ikea Briljera

25. Ikeda Mizu Honyaki

26. Mario Ingoglia

27. Jikko Akebono Gyuto 240

28. Kagekiyo Blue # 1 Gyuto

29. Benjamin Kamon

30. Kato a) STD Gyuto, b) Yoshiaki Fujiwara, c) Sujihiki

31. Kikuishi

32. Kippington

33. Kochi a) Stainless clad, b) V2

34. Konosuke Fujiyama (preferably old, and wide bevel) or Gyuto 240 White Steel # 1

35. Shibata Kotetsu

36. Bob Kramer

37. Kumagoro Honyaki

38. Tilman Leder Inox

39. Andrea Lisch

40. David Lisch

41. Mac Pro Series

42. Dave Martell

43. Masahiro

44. Masamoto KS

45. Masashi SLD

46. Matsubara

47. Maumasi

48. Chelsea Miller Gyuto

49. Misono Dragon

50. Mizuno Honyaki

51. Munethoshi a) Cleaver, b) Gyuto, c) Butcher

52. Murata Blue # 1

53. Don Ngyuen

54. Opinel

55. Dan Prendergast

56. Brian Raquin a) Gyuto, b) Mini cleaver/Big Nakiri

57. Michael Rader

58. Sabatier a) Nogent handled pre 1939, b) Old carbon

59. Sakai Takayuki Ginsanko

60. Takeshi Saji

61. Shigefusa Gyuto

62. Takamura Pro Gyuto

63. Takeda Gyuto

64. Tanaka a) Blue Steel # 2, b) Gyuto

65. Tesshu

66. Togashi Honyaki Blue Steel Gyuto

67. Tosagata Bunka

68. Toyogama

69. Toyama a) Iron Clad, b) Guyto 270, c) Nakiri 210

70. Tsourkan

71. Shinichi Watanabe a) Kasumi Guyto, b) KU Gyuto, c) Nakiri

72. Xerxes

73. Yoshikane Black Damascus SLD

74. Zwilling Kramer

Also the new fujiyama fms should easily be on here. They are really, really good.

I would like to add Watanabe Honyaki Gyoto. Just amazing and below 1K usd in a standard build. Custom things might bring the price just above 1K.

I made a spreadsheet but cannot upload it (does allow extension). Can anyone help with that or do I need to link via google ?

Edit:
The link https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/15aL4qAPUrLqbG0fEcHdtanUW0ZqBl94X?usp=sharing

There is a lot of info missing (I don't know what to input) so if anyone wants to chime in feel free.
Do you think we should also add columns with clad/mono type, stainless/carbon or what else you think important?

Last edited:
I would like to add Watanabe Honyaki Gyoto. Just amazing and below 1K usd in a standard build. Custom things might bring the price just above 1K.
Wat honyaki is out of production unfortunately and anyone selling used is probably going at 1k and above now by my guessing. Amazing knife though.

I made a spreadsheet but cannot upload it (does allow extension). Can anyone help with that or do I need to link via google ?

Edit:
The link https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/15aL4qAPUrLqbG0fEcHdtanUW0ZqBl94X?usp=sharing

There is a lot of info missing (I don't know what to input) so if anyone wants to chime in feel free.
Do you think we should also add columns with clad/mono type, stainless/carbon or what else you think important?

Hey, this was excellent! Thank you very much @gstriftos!

Devin definitely needs a spot IMO and I personally feel Ian Rogers / Haburn Knives should be there as well ... Many of Jon's wares could find a place - the Kagekiyo line being one of the most obvious ...

Very nice work Carl!

Back